Help Identifying an Old Fixed Blade

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
My sister-in-law sent me this old knife that used to be her late fathers. I can no marking at all on the blade so I'm guessing it's some old cheap knife. She wants me to restore it. I'd like to know more about it before I decide what to do. I may just clean it up a little or I may do a complete overhaul.

If I decide to do a minimal cleaning, I'm going to make a replica for her.

Any help identifying is appreciated!

20221205_160314.jpg316343591_871472540519029_141933985921720644_n.jpg

Interesting project - do you plan to repair or replace the broken scale? OR, perhaps new scales on both sides?

Nope, I have no idea of maker or age.

Interesting project - do you plan to repair or replace the broken scale? OR, perhaps new scales on both sides?

Nope, I have no idea of maker or age.
New scales on both sides. Complete clean and polish as good as it will get. Owner has no interest in keeping rustic looks...

Utica Sportsman?

Utica Cutmaster link at ebay. Sportsman link at ebay.

These are listed all over ebay as "vintage" and "rare" yet I seem to remember one being stuck in a stud of just about every garage as a child. Frank at the local Phillips 66 had them in a case for sale. I saw Chris's pic of the knife above and a smile spread across my face in warm memory.

Cool restoration project, Chris. Have fun!

Last edited:
hey guys did you notice that the blade was that little bit wider than the handle.......that solves the problem of installing a cross guard on a full tang knife.....would require some pretty fine fitting of the guard with a file but can be done.......i am sure in production everything was stamped and pressed on........some cool antler scales would step that knife up a level........

Thanks Guys! That's it!
hey guys did you notice that the blade was that little bit wider than the handle.......that solves the problem of installing a cross guard on a full tang knife.....would require some pretty fine fitting of the guard with a file but can be done.......i am sure in production everything was stamped and pressed on........some cool antler scales would step that knife up a level........

Antler is the plan since the knife has only sentimental value.

That was an old Sheffield trick, IIRC. Some folks talk about the superiority of full tang knives, but in many cases, it was an issue of ease of production once decent steel became readily available to all. Lot easier just to slip on a guard and then rivet a couple of falt scales to the tang. Now if you want to look at a tough knife to make, check out the Michael price full tang SF bowies. They would slip the guard over the unfinished tang and then go back to the forge and taper and spread the tang with the guard on the knife.

Back