Hello from the PNW (Pacific Northwest)

brandon0403

I have always had an interest in knives. Graduated HS in '03 and have carried a blade every day since. I don't have a huge collection and didn't really care to have more than a functional collection. I got the itch to get another edc about 4 months ago and that started me on the path to deciding that I would like to start just making my own knives. After careful consideration and lots of research I finally made up my mind to not half-ass this, broke down and bought a KMG (KMG-PL motor less to be exact). Between the metal cutting band saw, drill press, and now mid range grinder, I figure I'm all set to start fumbling my way through creating my very own knives. I'll post some pictures of my garage shop setup to give an idea what I have to work with...when I get around to it that is.

welcome Brandon. you'll get a lot of satisfaction making your own blades.

where abouts in the northwest you hail from?

Erik

Thanks for the welcome Mark and cnccutter.

cnccutter,

I live about 45min north of Seattle in Lake Stevens, WA.

Brandon,
Welcome to the pack & let the fun began! So you want to make camp & hunter Knives or?
Post those pictures when you can?

Welcome to the pack. Have you thought about what's next. I started 2 years ago this month and don't fit in my porch shop today. You will have a lot of fun and make a bunch of friends here!

TacticallySharp,

Beyond getting my first batch of knives (batch being same design same metal, to learn techniques) finished, i hope to someday to get a heat treat oven and do my own HT's. In the near term though I just want to get to know my equipment and start to improve my skills one knife at time.

You might want to add eyes, ears, and lungs to your list too :biggrin:

"My 5 year plan for knifemaking... keep all 10 fingers I started with."

Erik

Good point Erik, lungs, ears, and eyes are a little easier to protect... a sharp knife will go through leather gloves pretty easy

Sent from my Lumia 810 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Some pictures of my new/first belt grinder, just waiting for the rest of my setup delivering today from usaknifemaker.com.

Attachments

• WP_20131007_018.jpg
    WP_20131007_018.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 12
  • WP_20131007_010.jpg
    WP_20131007_010.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 11
  • WP_20131007_011.jpg
    WP_20131007_011.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 12
  • WP_20131007_013.jpg
    WP_20131007_013.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 10
  • WP_20131007_017.jpg
    WP_20131007_017.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 11
I like how you jumped in with both feet. It minimizes the chance of just walking away from it.
welcome to KD
t

Thanks for the welcome BossDog, I looked into go the minimal investment route and came to the conclusion that I'm tired of doing things that way. Luckily for me I have a wife that allowed me to dive in head first and supports me 100% . She's actually a graphic designer by profession and is designing me an awesome makers mark/logo.

Hah... looks like your shop is fancier than mine dude. Definitely looks bigger. :35:
I'm just across the trestle... if you have any questions.
Erin

Back