Hello from Italy!

Alexa

Hi,

my name is Alessandra and I live in Italy.
I'm a knife enthusiast since I was 14, and now I write knives reviews for some italian magazines and also on my blog.

I'm very happy to be part of this forum and I'm sure that I'll find lots of interesting information.

Thank you in advance

Alexa,

Welcome on board. Tell us about your site and how to get a review or listed in your knifemakers section.

I reviewed your site and it is nicely done. Knifemakers need all the exposure they can get.

Regards,

George

Thanks to all of you!

oh well....Initially I had a blog that contained all my knives reviews that I write for some italian magazine.
After I thought that a website would be easier to see, and it would contain more information, so I make Knives Reviews website.
I also added a section dedicated to knifemakers from all over the world. At this regard, if there are knifemakers interested to appear on my website please contact me.

@Mark: the Genoese Knife is just one of many Italian regional historic knives. Keep in mind that each Italian region has a number of typical knives.
Here you can find some of these http://www.coltellidellartigiano.it/storici/
In particular, the knife shown on the book is part of the Stiletto family.
Sometimes it is very difficult to make a distinction between the various types of stiletto.
It must be said that after the 70s the Italian law has banned this type of knives, so it has become difficult to find information.
This Genoese knife was the "sword of the people," the weapon of the assassins before the handguns.
Sometimes it is incorrectly called "Misericordia" (which means mercy). At the end of the battle were still many wounded men.
Prelates and even bishops decided on the field who were not able to survive and these were finished with this knife. Hence the name of "mercy". :1:

Hello Mark.
Thank you!
I wrote a long answer for you, but it was not published because it had to be checked by a moderator.
Sorry about that.

I try to resume what I written some days ago...
In Italy we have a great number of traditional knives. Every Italian region (a region is the equivalent of your states, but much smaller) has several typical knives.
So it's hard for me to understand which knife you're referring to.
Here some of that knives http://www.consigliscarperia.it/download/catalogo-coltelli-regionali.pdf
These are some of the most well-known knives, divided by Italian Region:

ABRUZZO : Abruzzese, Aquilano, Coltello alla romana, Gobbo di loreto aprutino, Roncola Abruzzese.

TRENTINO ALTO ADIGE : Alto Atesino.

CAMPANIA : Amore, Coltello da pastore di Sparanise, Napoletano, Sfarziglia Napoletana, Zompafuosso.

MARCHE: Anconetano.

SARDEGNA: Arburese, Guspinese, Lapparedda, Leppa, Pattada, Pattada foggia antica, Resolza/Arresojas/Rasojo, Tempiese.

BASILICATA: Balestra.

LOMBARDIA: Bergamasco, Castrino, Maresciall.

SICILIA: Birittedda, Caltagirone, Catanese, Cuteddu cu lu manicu di ramu, Cuteddu ammanicatu, Liccasapuni, Messinese, Rasolino/Rasolino Siciliano, Roncola Siciliana, Salitano, San Fratello/Sanfratellano, Saraga, Scaluni, Scannaturi, Sfilato Siciliano.

CALABRIA: Calabrese, Coltello del frate, Roncola Calabrese, Vopa.

EMILIA ROMAGNA: Curtel cun è rèz, Imolese, Parmense, Ravennate, Riminese, Romagnolo, Roncola Romagnola, San Potito, Saraca Romagnola

LAZIO: Coltello alla romana, Romano, Romano d'ottone, Roncola Romana.

TOSCANA: Coltello da caccia di scarperia, Fiorentino, Maremmano, Mozzetta di Scarperia, Palmerino, Palmerino a due lame, Roncola con svitaluminelli, Senese, Svitaluminelli, Tre Pianelle, Zuava di Scarperia.

FRIULI VENEZIA GIULIA: Filuscina o Filiscina, Marinera, Mozzetta di Maniago, Roncola di Maniago Colombina, Zuava Maniago, Coltello a scatto di Maniago.

PIEMONTE: Frabosan, Roncola Piemontese, Vernantin.

LIGURIA: Genovese, Masunin

MOLISE: Molisano, Mozzetta Di Forsolone, Sfilato di Frosolone, Zuava Forsolone, Coltello a scatto di Frosolone.

PIEMONTE: Piemontese, Puragnin.

VALLE D'AOSTA: Ronchetto.

VENETO: Roncola Veneta.

The picture in the book is that of a typical Italian Stiletto, sometimes confused with the knife called Misericordia (which means mercy; this knife was used by bishops and prelates to end badly wounded soldiers after a battle). Misericordia is a type of stiletto.
It is necessary to emphasize that this kind of knives have been banned by the Italian law after the '70s. Hence are hard to find more information about it. Unfortunately this part of the Italian tradition has been lost.

I apologize in advance for writing mistakes that I've done. My English is not very good. :biggrin:

Alexa
Thank you for taking the time to write and rewrite your answer your english is just fine.
My interest is in the the similarity of the the knives made by American maker Samuel Bell in the 1800s the style is very much the same and have wondered if there is an Italian connection.

orig.jpg

Your information has helped me very much as I had reached a dead end in my research and now I'm finding out more about him.

Thanks
Mark

Back