Heat Treat Foil Question

buckaroo

I recently built a HT oven. I built it so I can move into some other steels besides the 10XX tool steels. Plus it will take alot of the guess work out of heat treating.

I would like to grind some blades from 440c for starters. I will be using the plate quench method when they come out of the oven. My question is is stainless steel heat treat wrap an absolute must? What are the draw backs of not using it. If my thinking is right it would only be more scale build up with out the foil.

Thanks guys. Dave

Because of the higher temps and soak time needed for SS heat treatment, the oxidation on the blade is considerable worse, foil is needed to keep the blade from looking like you soaked it in strong acid for a week. Its well worth the price, trust me.

Peter

Because of the long soak at temp., you would get LOTS of scale and perhaps damage the edge area.

Sorry, Peter, looks like we both posted about the same time. At least though, we agree.

Last edited:
As Peter says - SS foil sure is nice. You can finish the blade right up finished, HT - then just a touch on buffing wheel is about all that's needed. I ordered a roll of the 321 from McMaster-Carr. It's rate for 2,000ºF and I've not had any problems with it HT'ing up to 1950ºF. A 10"X10ft roll is only about $30 shipped. That's going to add about $2/knife. http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-foil/=q178f3

Ken H>

Thank you for the replies. I have sent some 440 out HT before and the blades did com back looking amazing. Anything that cuts down on belts and time grinding is well worth it.

Back