Handle Wrap

Freds Edge

I would like to put a wrapped handle on this chopper and was looking for some guidance , I have not done one before and need some direction.IMG_3787.jpg

Hi Fred I can try to put my 2cents worth in. I like to use leather to built up the tang a little, just a like a thin scale on each side. Some times I will add a small sliver to the edge of the tang so the end of the handle is a little wider that it is at the guard. I use contact cement any decent glue will do. Don't worry about the shape too much as long as it is over size. Once the handle sets up I shape it down on my grinder. I usually drill a hole in the end of the handle (Size depends on the width of your handle 1/4" minimum). Take the end of your twine and fray about an inch so it will lay flat. Glue it to your handle near the guard then start wrapping over it (Hard to explain) I use a wooden stick (anything will do) to keep pushing the twine together as I wrap. Once I get to the end I start going through the hole until I cover the tang and fill the hole totally. After the handle is wrapped I cover it in epoxy (Agra glass is what I use) I were a rubber glove so I can work the epoxy into the twine.

I know this is a poor explanation but it is simpler than it sounds. Personally I wrapped my first knife about three times before I got it where I liked it. The great part is you can unwrap and try again as many times as you like. Hopefully this helps

I want to learn how to do Japanese style wrapping . I just got some stingray and I will watch some video's . Been really intrigued with this style of work as of late.

Mark, here is link to Thomas bucks tutorial . Its easy to learn , just get a small locking wood clamp , I use a plastic one . Tying the ura and Omote knot is difficult to learn .

I use folded plastic film negatives to pull Ito cord under crossovers. http://www.tsukamaki.net/ I can show you how to use it once you get to that point ... Bubba

Thanks for the help guy's , I waiting for some quench oil from a suppler in Detroit then I will be moving along on the chopper.

Back