Handle material question

Tony Manifold

I am just about to order my first batch of micarta for handles. They come in 1/8 and 3/8 inch thickness and I am not sure which one I want to buy. I am using 1/8 steel and making combat style knives. Should I go with the thicker micarta? That would be 7/8 and it seems thick but 3/8 seems very slim. I want to choose the right one and would love some opinions.

Thanks

I am just about to order my first batch of micarta for handles. They come in 1/8 and 3/8 inch thickness and I am not sure which one I want to buy. I am using 1/8 steel and making combat style knives. Should I go with the thicker micarta? That would be 7/8 and it seems thick but 3/8 seems very slim. I want to choose the right one and would love some opinions.

Thanks

the most popular thickness is 3/16", followed by 1/4" - this would fit most typical knives from 1/8" to 5/32" in thickness
for a military style type knife, generally these are 5/32" up to 1/4" thick in the blade using 3/8" thick handle material most often, followed up by 1/4" thick scales.
1/8" thick scales are used most often on folders and necker knives or stacked up with other materials as a liner or for more color in the handle.

Yes,
It's harder on your hand for a handle to be a little small than to be a little big for you.
For my fixed blade I prefer the 3/8" for all of my Chef knives and Tactic Cool knives. Some paring knives and necker or small hideouts get 1/8 to 1/4"

Personally, I like a nice deeply contoured handle and would side with 3/8.

Have some fun with it! I LOVE micarta!

I've learned the hard way that a handle that is too small makes the knife less controllable. I would go with thicker scales with a larger profile.

Doug

I like 1/8 for my liner and 3/16 or 1/4 for the scale. Gives me plenty to contour and shape with. I use G10 for my liners.

Back