Handle Frame

oldknife

Not sure if this is a winner, takes some time did not have enough damascus for a framed handle, so took some .100" that I had and laminated it to a piece of mild steel, I brazed it and silver soldered on the back piece, would have used my mig but it died, you need to heat the damascus red hot to be able to bend it.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 103
Mark, here is some pictures of the finished knife, it takes some time to do this, the 3 pieces are from thesame piece of steel, the back piece looks different it may be from putting a radios on it. Deane

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for posting those pictures Deane,

It turned out very well, but how is the handle attached?

Mark

Mark, I use Devcon 30 min. epoxiy 2 ton grind little notches in the tang and in the frame, or you can drill thruew the tang and use some pins, will guarantee the epoxiy will hold, have taken one apart for a friend and one of my own, had to heat the blade until I could pry it lose with a bar. Deane

Mark, take a look at the back of the grind, I am getting old and cheat, that blade was done on my mill with a 4 flute cutter that takes round carbides, it gives the same radius on each side, have a magnetic chuck on pillow blocks I use, a little different way of doing things/. Deane

I've never seen that done before. I think you got a case of "work smarter" and grinding does seem like punishment at times especially the plunge, i may attempt that sometime way in the future, still trying to figure out which way to turn the cranks on my mill.

Mark

Back