Hamon

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have just a little bit of a step where the guard is going to go. Just a thought.

Doug

I like the hamon you got. I have not been able to achieve a good hamon for all my efforts. I expect that I will one day, but yours looks good. I have hamon envy.

The blade is 1095,I did the heat treat in a 2 part treatment, water for 2 seconds then right into oil(peanut oil) to finish cooling. I watched a video by Even Bolins on how he dose a hamon ,it is very helpful.
Yes I intend to put a step in for the guard.
I will post some more pix's as the polishing moves along.

The blade is 1095,I did the heat treat in a 2 part treatment, water for 2 seconds then right into oil(peanut oil) to finish cooling. I watched a video by Even Bolins on how he dose a hamon ,it is very helpful.
Yes I intend to put a step in for the guard.
I will post some more pix's as the polishing moves along.

lol I have posted that link several time on here as well, but i just did not know his name other than his youtube handle! It is a good 4 part vid and I do plan to use his method of etching with lemon juice and vinegar. I will be using parks 50 for the quench however.

Thanks for going through the trouble of looking for the link. :)

IMG_2906.jpgIMG_2907.jpg The hamon is starting to come out but its to cold in the shop , fingers are stiff, had to call it a day.

He mixed a kolin clay,I was in the pottery business (a family business)before retirement , If you have ceramic shop in your area they will have a common casting clay that will work.
I mixed it at 3 parts furnace mud to 2 parts clay. If your clay comes in a powder mix water until you have a consistency of thick mud.

Back