Grind it or file it--with an ugly clamp.

Fred Rowe

I admit it, I make the ugliest knife makers clamp there is. Its not square or shiny or for that matter, cool looking at all. But what it does, it does really well.

The blade is from flat stock .187--profiling took 8 minutes including the tapered tang.
DSC01345_001.JPG

This is shot from the bottom of the blade the clamp positioned to grind the bevels.
DSC01346.JPG

The blade with the bevels rough ground [36 grit] 16 minutes. Distal taper ground.
DSC01348.JPG

Shot from the top of the blade with the clamp positioned on the 1/4 wide ricasso. Ready to construct the shoulders. I put the clamp in a vise and file the spine and choil sides of the shoulders.
I also make the initial cuts on the sides of the blades shoulders with a long angle lath @@@@@@@ file. Ten strokes per side. 10 minutes.
DSC01352.JPG

Moving to the grinder; I install a new 120 grit ceramic belt, J-flex, place the side of the clamp "squarely" against the side of the platen and lower the blade to the belt. I run the belt on high and with pressure straight down on the blade grind the shoulder in one move.
Turn the blade over going to the opposite side of the belt and repeat. You want to make sure the edge of the belt is even, or just slightly over the edge of the platen.
This takes 2 minutes.
DSC01355.JPG

DSC01354.JPG

From bar stock to heat treat in under 35 minutes and all the surfaces are square and true.

Have a good day in the shop if you are that fortunate, Fred

Last edited:
Simple solutions are always the best solutions. Nice clamp.

Back