Great forum I'm hoping to make some small folders

GWF

Hello gents, just a note to say hello and make an introduction. Retired now and keep coming back to knife making as a potential hobby as I'm always so beguiled by the pictures of the custom knives I see here and elsewhere.

Was never a 'craftsman' in my previous profession (Navy) but would love to be able to do even a little bit in that regard so am hoping to pick up pointers etc. as I put together a space in my garage for having a go. I'm particularly interested in small folders of the older styles, Barlows, etc.

I'm hoping that I will be able to assemble some information regarding knife making using hand files as much as possible with perhaps the use of one of the smaller less expensive grinders and/or bench grinders/buffing wheel machines.

I'm reasoning that as the knives I'm interested in are the small bladed ones the use of the larger grinder won't be a major necessity. That and the fact that I won't be doing this in any commercial sense meaning I can take all the time needed that file working may require.

Please do tell me if I'm off the mark.

In the meantime, Hello and hope to meet all in the future.

Best regards,
GWF

GWF,
Welcome to the pack here at KD's.
you can make many different kinds of knives with files and simple tools. You will want a metal cutting band saw & drill press and a few other power tools tools in time.
browse the knife maker shop talk forum and look into some of the WIP tutorials on how to make folders.
I make fixed blade culinary knives myself, but there are several folder makers around that I am sure will help if you just ask.
relax and enjoy!

Laurence

Www.rhinoknives.com

Back