Gettin' Jiggy with it!!

Benr.t

So I just finished up a Dremel table jig based on Lin Rhea's (Thanks Lin!!). And I figured I would post up some pics of various other jigs and tools I made since I started making knives. Feel free to post up pics of the homemade jigs you guys have made and use.
By the way, I tend to overbuild things, hence all of of the 1/2" plate steel!!

Dremel jig, for cutting grooves in guards and such.
IMG_1849.jpg

Edge scribe
IMG_1853.jpg

Tapered tang drill fixture
IMG_1722.jpg

Sanding fixture
IMG_1855.jpg

Clip grinding jig
IMG_1857.jpg

Stamp press
IMG_1860.jpg

These are 2 of my platens. ceramic and leather(for sharpening). I made them quick detach with a simple clip over design. I am working on a radius platen right now that will attach the same way.

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

Seeing that blade stick out of the knife vise the way you have it is more than a little alarming. You need to get a board underneath it. Cut the board so that it comes to a spear point and don't allow the point of the blade extend past it. Also the edge of the blade should not extend over the edge of the board. This will keep you from running the point of the blade into your hand while you're sanding it or your fingers coming in contact with the edge of the blade. The way you have it hanging over the edge of your work bench is especially dangerous. If you or someone gets a little distracted around that blade it would be very easy to walk into it a skewer themselves on it or slice themselves wide open. The blade should always be mounted over the bench. Even walking into the point of the knife board could do some damage. Always think safety. We deal with a lot of things that can really mess a person up real fast and once it happens the consequences can be devastating.

Doug

Leather platten? That's a first for me to see! Can you explain why you use one?

Hi Ben Nice Jigs :35: can you show as how your dremel jig works :les:!
It is always interesting to learn from other makers inniative!

Thanx Martin

I don't think the tapered tang drill fixture is strong enough, you should consider thicker stock:) (just kidding)

Cool looking stuff, you should post this stuff in the shop tricks and tips thread. How do your quick change plattens work?

Doug, I normally have a large garbage can under the knife so I can't lean into it. Also I NEVER leave that in my vice when I walk away, I take it out and set it on the back of my bench. It is mostly used for handle work anyway. Thanks for looking out!!

The leather platen adds just a little give for a slightly convex edge.

The platens simply slide over a bracket on my grinder.

Back