Gaucho type knife

Squawsach

I was contacted about about making a gaucho type knife. I have never made one before or even looked into making one. The buyer is a super nice guy so I told him I would take a look at gaucho knives and come up with something. I researched gauchos on the web and basically came up with a modern, Squawsached, gaucho type of sharp pointy object that looks like a kitchen knife.

It's 12" OAL with a 5/32" O1 blade. The handle is 416 SS and cocobola. It will get a sheath when I find some time.

What do you think? Gaucho or kitchen?

gauchofinish001.jpg

gauchofinish005.jpg

gauchofinish003.jpg

Any Gaucho would be proud to have that in his kitchen:biggrin:
It's a great looking knife .​

Very impressive, there is a lot of evolution in this blade style, from the 16th century Spanish Facóns (which in Argentina meant to small to be a sword, to large to be a knife) to the more commonly known Cuchillas and Belduques, basically our common butcher knives with full-tang construction, wooden slab grips and blades with a belly shaped edge and straight back. If you were standing in the right place at the right time, the Gaucho puñales may have evolved into a Bowie. Gauchos (mixed breed Spanish/Indian) were very nomatic cattle/horseman and apparently had limited access to early firearms, so the blades they carried were very much weapons as well as tools.......... Sorry ramblings from an old burnout......NICE KNIFE.................Randy

It doesn't matter what it is, all I can say it is an excellent example of great craftmanship and finish on a knife. Well done.

Back