Garden hoe head

Stormcrow

This was commissioned by a Zombie Squad member as a present for his sister. Most of the forging was done with Gunnhilda, my homebrewed power hammer. I started with a piece of new leaf spring stock, forged out the neck and spread out the preform for the socket. I actually used math to figure up the size of the socket to fit a regular hoe handle with a bit of shaving on the handle to ensure a tight fit.

hoe2.jpg

hoe1.jpg

Then I rolled the socket and cut the hoe free from the parent stock.

hoe3.jpg

Then I spread the blade out and thinned it down.

hoe4.jpg

hoe5.jpg

Because the neck got forged a bit off-centered when I forged it, the blade came out off-centered. I trimmed it more even and ground the edge bevel in.

hoe6.jpg

I stamped my touchmark on the blade, the first time I've done that on a hoe. Then came the part of the process that is most difficult for me, bending the neck into the appropriate angle. If the angle's off a bit, it won't work very well.

hoe7.jpg

Then I hardened the blade and neck in commercial quench oil.

hoe8.jpg

hoe9.jpg

hoe10.jpg

After that I tempered it in my kiln.

hoe11.jpg

This morning after pulling it out, I drilled a hole and forged a little nail to make sure that it stays on the handle once it's fitted.

hoe12.jpg

hoe13.jpg

hoe14.jpg

hoe15.jpg

hoe16.jpg

And now it's off to its new home, in time for Christmas. :)

James,
May I suggest taking advantage of my free inspection & testing of all your future projects. My lab will subject every knife, sword, axe & garden tool to a series of stringent field(my backyard) tests(chopping fire wood & limbs) to certify both edge holding & handle comfort before being released to your customers. I'm particularly fond of bowie knives, by the way! Merry Christmas! Bill

Well done! As it happens I was just re-watching your Gunnhilda video where you're holding one of
those and wonder just how you made them.

Thank y'all!

Sure, Bill, but I have to charge a small insurance fee for each test piece. The rates vary depending on the item to be tested. :D

Back