Full blade covered electro etching - advise?

zaph1

Working on this for a wedding present. This was a test of the spray urethane clear gloss and needle scribing. It turned out great, except for some corners that flaked off, noticeably on the "r" in Cory and Patricia. Any advise?
EtchTest.jpg

I use white nail polish so I can see the scribe line more clearly. Usually when the line weight is lighter, it doesn't show as well finished, so its good to have a consistent line weight. I also use a nail, but then sharpen the point to needle at a steeper angle than a needle - I like the thicker weight, feels like I have more control.

Have either of you tried using Dikem spray? Any idea if might work?

As for scribes, I use the same method as Rob but tend to favor the cheap carbide scribe from HF.

Never heard of Dikem spray? Does it come off with acetone?
I like nail polish as its thick so I feel like I can scribe better.

I may check out the carbide scribe - I'm going to use an ice pick on a project I've got on the bench now.

Dykem is the blue or red layout spray used by some to transfer designs over to steel. I know of their 33 marker being used in circuit board etching and have always been tempted to try it out. I'll see if it works on my next etching.

I believe the Dykem is unsuitable for that .I did in the past use it often. Frank.

Thanks Frank, I know that the markers work, to an extent, but was not sure of the spray. Well, now I know and knowing is half the battle... GI Joe... :biggrin:

Just in case anyone cares, here is the final product. I did learn not to use my titanium lead in the bath when electro-etching. It was too aggressive and ate through the paint, leaving some pitting. Otherwise, it worked very well.
Knife11.jpg

Back