Frame handle bowie WIP

Here is the finished knife. I have to admit this knife fought me every step of the way.
DSCF5104.jpg

DSCF5105.jpg

DSCF5106.jpg

DSCF5108.jpg

Thanks for looking

Brad Thanks for an awesome WIP!
I'm still not quite understanding how you applied the stippling, you used a broken end mill and then....(here's a guess) maybe, held it in your hand and made all those little dots? If that is the way you did, OMG! WOW! That is some serious work! The way you sharpened the end mill, I'm thinking it has to be at an extreme angle, but I have no idea if that is remotely close, so please, do share your knowledge, I've been wanting to apply some stippling to a knife in some manner, I do like the way you did it, but I would prefer to come up with something different, but then again....
Rex

Sorry if I was not clear, I just sharpen my broken end mills and use them as center punches or scribes. The stippling was made by hand, hammering the broken end mill lightly all over the groove. Stippling that way did not take very long, not compared to hand sanding the average blade.

Honestly I finished the knife but I think I messed up in a big way. The black and red handle looks bad next to the brass spacer. In hindsight I should have used wood scales or a different spacer material. The knife was a big experiment to begin with. The blade was forged from a file and my first attempt at a clay coating. I don’t think I will be putting this knife up for sale.

This is the redneck method of building a frame handle knife "look Ma no chainsaw". :)

I think the brass looks good Brad, but I know what you mean about experimenting. In order to learn faster I throw in as much embellishment and new techniques as i can handle on a knife when maybe not appropriate, I don't think that's the case with your knife.

I was about to post how I liked the brass before I read your last post.

Mark

kirinite is easy to polish I sanded it to 1000 grit then gave it a quick buff with rouge, it shines up nice.

Back