forging a hawk question

MoblMec

Hi Guys
I am new to forging and have a question.Why is it harder to forge a hawk out of a ballpeen hammer than other stuff like a RR spike or a horse file?
I have forged my first thing a hawk last weekend from a RR spike and it came out pretty good if I say so myself . You can see pics. under the Tomahawks and choppers sec. This hawk took me 4 hours of hammering but I can,t imagion why it would take longer with a ballpeen head that already has a handle hole.
Just wondering as I have thought about using a ballpeen to make one.
Thanks
MoblMec

Different type of metal for one. Also is it thicker in areas, which means more metal to get up to temp and move. I have only been playing with forging for a little while and there is a huge difference between things like 1084, W2, L6, and 8670 all of which I have played with.

I have forged some hawks out of ball-peen hammers and I would say that the most difficult part of the process is moving the mass of steel that makes up the blade of the hawk. Doing it without the benefit if a press or a power hammer and trying to hold on to the head while hitting it with enough force to move the steel is a challenge. Two issues present a problem here. First of course is maintaining control of a red hot 24 oz chunk of steel while striking it and second is preventing the eye from collapsing as you forge out the blade. I use a pair of 3/4" offset bolt tongs to grab onto the ball while forging, and I drift out the eye with a tomahawk drift before forging out the blade. I also have made a tapered mandrel that I can place in the eye while forging the blade( and spike portion). This prevents deforming the eye in case inadvertently hit it with the hammer. Both the drift and tongs are available online or can certainly be made. 4 hours is about how long it takes me to rough out a spike tomahawk head from a ball-peen hammer. I like using 24 oz heads but other sizes can be used as well. Try a 32 or a 54 oz head if you really want an adventure! of course this is just the method I use in my little corner of my garage. Other makers have posted here and elsewhere with their process and it does vary. Please feel free to PM me if you have further questions or chime in here. I'm always lurking.:batman:

Thanks for the info. I think I will do a few more out of RR spikes and then maybe a rasp as I have several of both. After a little more hammer time then I will tackle a ballpeen.
Thanks
MoblMec

Back