Forges, kilns, DIY....?

As an entry level knife enthusiast, I can't justify dropping a big chunk of dough on a complex tool at this point. I do realize the importance of a kiln/forge. I think that the best route for a beginner on a budget would be a DIY set up. I've looked at several vatiations on the net, and would like some input. A propane powered kiln using cinder block. A coal burning forge using a heat gun, etc. What are the pros/cons regarding each of the different types of these essentials for a knife maker?

First, NO CINDER BLOCKS!!! That is nothing more than an SERIOUS accident waiting to happen. Cinder block will no hold up under such intense heat, and will at the very least crumble, and at the worst explode.

A coal forge is an option, but then you have to think about where you will get the coal from? You can't use just any old type of coal in a forge....well, I suppose you can, but unless you use a good quality "forge coal" you will not be at all happy, and it won't work well at all. The best forge coal that I have ever used comes out of West Virginia, (Cumberland/Elkhorn coal). If your not near a location where you can buy/pick up bags of coal, you have to have it shipped.....most companies will not ship anything less then a ton, and the shipping will cost you more then the coal.

Personally, I think the best route would be a propane forge......if you're a good scrounger, you can build one for around $100. Fuel is readily available, and is relatively cheap. To start out on a really low budget, look up "One Brick Forge" on the net.

Thanks for the input. Now I gotta run back to the drawing board. You did save me some money and for that I say thanks again!

Man I glad I saw this. I already have a propane forge but I was toying with the idea of getting an old coal set up. Never even thought coal would be an issue.

The first thing that I would do is get some good books on the subject and a video or two. I have a love/hate relationship with The $50 Knife Shop by Wayne Goddard. It does give some good ideas on how to cut corners when your starting out but it also makes it seem that he advocates reusing steel items, which he really doesn't and you will find that out if you read his The Wonder of Knife Making. Jim Hrisoulas's The Master Bladesmith is also an excellent book; I've read mine so much it's coming apart. Especially if you are interested in using a coal forge, the late Bill Moran did a video, The Making of a Knife, that goes into detail about it. It can be obtained through the ABS online store. Ed also put out a very good video for the beginner. Various knife making supply houses carry it.

Doug

If it's 8# Kaowool you can use it to line your forge with. Just make sure that you cover it with a refractory or a mortar or it can form sharp needle like fibers after it is heated over about 600°.

Doug

Most places propane is cheaper. Here is the oposite..Im no more than 10 minutes away from some of the best coal in the country..Im right in the heart of coal country..A 40lb tank of propane is $40, I can get almost a half ton of coal for the same ammount..Good, metalurgical grade coal..Most of this areas coal use to go up the river to AK steels coke plant..

Here is an idea for someone with budget constraints. I made a coffee can forge similar to this but I use a weed burner...got the idea from Tai Goo. The plan shown here would be easy to make and fairly inexpensive

Back