Forge question

Mark Andrews

Hi Folks

I have been using a little Atlas forge for about a year now. When I was using it the other night I noticed that the bricks are starting to get a bit cracked . I figure there must be a product to fix this and if there is what is the products name. I just want to make sure I get the right stuff.

On to my second question. I live in the Northeast and it gets pretty cold around here. I noticed that when it is a bit colder I can't get the forge really hot almost like you are running on a low tank. I have tried to keep the tanks indoors to keep them warm but after maybe two heats it starts doing the same thing. I really don't like to keep the tanks inside in case of a fire. So is there a solution to this as well.

Thanks in advance for any info and I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

Mark Andrews

You might try painting the bricks with Plistix or Metrikote. These are infrared reflective products so will help the forge reflect the heat back into the forge and not so much into the bricks. You can mix it thin so it will run down into the cracks. Let me know if I can help you.

The tanks are probably cold enough that the propane can not evaporate fast enough to supply the gas as fast as you are using it. If you are using smaller bottles you can try placing in a tub of warm water, but of course the water will cool and you will have to replace it. You could have a small heater blowing on to the tank but don't over do it. Are you working out of doors? If in a building heat the whole building.

Hi Wayne thanks for your reply.. I will put a search in for those products. I was just out trying to finish up a blade and I got it done just before the tank cooled. I have my forge outside my garage shop under a shed roof storage are. I was thinking of trying to run a longer hose from the tank and keep the tank in the shop during these colder months. I would bring the operation in the shop but there is a living room above and I don't want to piss off the family.

Thanks Mark

good advise on the Plistix as this will help with both your issues. If your lil atlas is an older model then I strongly suggest you replace the burner/torch as the original just failed to produce the BTU's of later models.
Of course my solution would simply be to go old school and do things the way the real men did em'... Coal!

Back