for bladesmithing only: vertical or horizontal?

Travis Fry

I am planning to build a forge, eventually. Several of them, actually, because I don't expect there to be one design that will do everything I want. I'll build a forge for welding (or maybe a couple for different applications), and I have a clear idea of what I want it (them) to be like. I heat treat in a kiln, and don't have a need for a heat treating forge. It's the forge for forging blades that I'm having trouble with. I've read about everything I can find out there (my Google-fu is strong!), but here is where I'm at:

There seem to be two options that folks prefer for forging-only applications.

-- A small vertical blown/forced air forge (hot spot maybe 4-6 inches across) has the advantages of 1) interchangeable burners with my future welding forge(s), 2) precise heat control, and 3) enough versatility for small welding jobs if I make it right. Disadvantages are mostly 2: 1)you can't leave a blade sitting on the bottom, thus requiring tongs or a welded handle and 2) you can drop stuff into it. I dont have a press or power hammer, so my damascus making is limited to non-existent and is therefore NOT a factor for this forge. On the other hand I know how to forge weld, and it might be nice to have that option when required for bolsters, cable billets, etc.

--A horizontal forge with a venturi burner has the advantages of being electricity free and of compensating for the disadvantages of the vertical, but sacrifices 1) burner interchangeablity, 2) ease of burner tuning and construction, 3) welding versatilty (I know you can weld in a horiztonal, but I don't foresee this one having that ability with a homemade venturi). I like the possibilties of not dropping stuff and not requiring handles, and it seems to share the precision heating if I use the right burner. I would consider buying one of the better premade burners out there instead of making my own if I decide to go this route.

Can some of the pros weigh in with experience and feedback? Let's not get distracted: this will be my first forge, but definitely not my last, so please keep in mind that this particular forge will be used 98% of the time for blade forging only.

Last edited:
Horizontal 2 burner venture with rear access door, plenty hot to do dry welding small billets and controllable enough to do any kind of hand forging.

Peter

This is my latest, second season.
Pics are before I put on the needle valve but I just couldn't wait to try it out. My other forges are horizontal also with venturis which worked fine for forging, but took forever to get to welding heat. 4" x 14" chamber and it cooks. Big savings on gas compared to the venturiis, I can control the flame/ temp with pinpoint precision. Simple to build

2011_0904forgenew0014.jpg2011_0904forgenew0012.jpg

Rudy

Back