Foil wrapped Stainless & Baby powder

Tooln

Yesterday I heat treated 2 14c28n blades. Both wrapped in 309 both in the same oven for the same amount of time. I lightly coats one blade with baby powder before putting it in the foil pouch. The bottom blade had the baby powder. Can't say one came out of the pouch easier but clean up will sure be easier one one. My next stainless HT I plan to purge the pouch with argon.

20240205_154553.jpg20240205_154615.jpg

Yesterday I heat treated 2 14c28n blades. Both wrapped in 309 both in the same oven for the same amount of time. I lightly coats one blade with baby powder before putting it in the foil pouch. The bottom blade had the baby powder. Can't say one came out of the pouch easier but clean up will sure be easier one one. My next stainless HT I plan to purge the pouch with argon.

View attachment 84007View attachment 84008
At least it will be softer and smell good!
Just kidding. I’ll have to try that on AEB L. How did you come about using it?

Looking closely at the photos I’m wondering if wrapping the ends of the blade with foil and then doing the regular wrap would help in heat treat.

I'm not too clear on your concern. I assume you are going to complete the grinds after heat treatment. I think discoloration is to be expected on a pouch enclosed HT. Is the discoloration a concern as long as there is no significant oxidation on, say, the Ricasso area.
My next stainless HT I plan to purge the pouch with argon.
That's an interesting idea. I assume you would stick a TIG welder nozzle in one end of a nearly sealed pouch and close it up.
I'm going to try that on the next HT. I also wonder if MIG gas (75% CO2/25%Argon) would also work?

At least it will be softer and smell good!
Just kidding. I’ll have to try that on AEB L. How did you come about using it?
I read somewhere where baby powder helps reduce discoloring. I figured I'd give it a try to save some time in finishing.

I'm not too clear on your concern. I assume you are going to complete the grinds after heat treatment. I think discoloration is to be expected on a pouch enclosed HT. Is the discoloration a concern as long as there is no significant oxidation on, say, the Ricasso area.

That's an interesting idea. I assume you would stick a TIG welder nozzle in one end of a nearly sealed pouch and close it up.
I'm going to try that on the next HT. I also wonder if MIG gas (75% CO2/25%Argon) would also work?
I have 2 regulators on my tig welder, one is used to purge SS pipe for food grade welds. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet, but I'm thinking I'd have the blade in the pouch with it sealed on 3 sides. Stick a small hose into the pouch and turn on the argon and slowly pull the hose out and seal the end.

I have 2 regulators on my tig welder, one is used to purge SS pipe for food grade welds. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet, but I'm thinking I'd have the blade in the pouch with it sealed on 3 sides. Stick a small hose into the pouch and turn on the argon and slowly pull the hose out and seal the end.
Now I understand, I was thinking you were planning to purge the whole oven. You're talking about filling the pouch with argon gas.

I use talc powder in the pouch of every stainless blade I heat treat now. I learned my lesson after welding the pouch to a couple 8" Magnacut chef's knives. Still haven't cleaned those blades up yet.

Talc is a good thing! You CAN purge your whole HT kiln if you want to go that route. I had one on mine that I just made from pipe fittings and drilled a hole into the top of my HT oven. I guess it’s hard on the elements. I don’t do lots of stainless so I took it off and just use pouches again. It worked good though.

Back