First Knife, First Post

Lee B

I recently completed my first knife and sheath. The knife is a Dozier style skinner. The blade is approximately 3 1/2" long and is made out of O1 steel. The handle is Honduran Rosewood.

Thanks for looking,
Lee

Attachments

• knife on table (800x600).jpg
    knife on table (800x600).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Welcome to the pack here at KD's.
Nice looking skinner you have made there! I wish my first was that clean! lol.

They have a introduction page here you may want to post on?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I also wish my first one was that nice.
Welcome to Knifedogs..
t

LOL talk about sounding like a broken record but ..... I wish my first looked like that! Seriously though very nice work.

Excellent first knife.
Was that your first try at grinding a bevel or did you go through a few blades before completing this one to the final stage?
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for all the comments.

Steven,

I made two attempts at beveling prior to this. Both were done on a small 1x30 sander that had some tracking issues. The blades weren't very symmetrical, so they met Mr. Hack Saw! I subsequently built a a No Weld Grinder and this is the first blade I beveled using it. I have two more of the same style in progress.

Lee

Thanks for the response Lee. I am using a 2x42 and have all kinds of issues. I am trying to figure them all out and figure ways to work around them. I just trashed another two knives tonight trying to figure out tapering the tang. The good news is that I have two decent ones out of 4 attempts at tapering tonight. Now after cutting out the profile, shaping it, drilling it and tapering the tang, I'm a little nervous to grind the bevels.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your two new ones.

One of the things I discovered while working on this knife and its sheath is I enjoy leather work. Prior to this I had no leather working experience. The sheath in the photo is my third attempt. I refer to attempt number one as Frankensheath because of the appearance of the stitching on the back of it. I didn't mark my pattern well, so Number two was accidentally made for a "lefty". I thought number three turned out okay until I watched a couple of Ian Atkinson's videos yesterday. I learned a lot and am not quite as satisfied with my work, as I was prior to watching the videos.

Lee

One of the things I discovered while working on this knife and its sheath is I enjoy leather work. Prior to this I had no leather working experience. The sheath in the photo is my third attempt. I refer to attempt number one as Frankensheath because of the appearance of the stitching on the back of it. I didn't mark my pattern well, so Number two was accidentally made for a "lefty". I thought number three turned out okay until I watched a couple of Ian Atkinson's videos yesterday. I learned a lot and am not quite as satisfied with my work, as I was prior to watching the videos.

Lee

Lee Lee,
You got it all wrong! That lefty sheath is so a right hander can put his back up pistol on his right and let the knife ride on the left!! :biggrin:
You have to learn how to incorporate these "Design Modifications" into your knife building!!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

One Knife to be proud of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of knife making. It will become addicting :s12137:

Back