First folder--a slippy!

KCorn

Hey guys! @I FINALY compleated my very first slipjoint. It has been quite a journey. Lots of mistakes and lessons learned but I have to say I am hooked! @It is a small pocket knife patterned after a patern that Don Robinson sent me for a build on this forum (thanks Don!). @It has nickel silver bolsters, curly maple handles and is made of O-1 tool steel that I heat treated myself. I also incorporated a 3/16" bronze bushing with a 3/32" id for the pivot pin as outlined in Tony Bose's tutorial. The rise and fall at all 3 positions was spot on with my rise and fall indicator but are maybe .002 off after assembly. Not sure as to why. Please feel free to comment good or bad. @I appreciate all of the help on here!

Sent from my iPad

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/kcorn01/275cff29.jpg

Looking good!
On your rise and fall indicator just get it close,0 in the open position,about 10/1000th high in the 1/2 and closed position,then assemble and disassemble the knife as many times as it takes to grind the tang to 0 in all positions.Also make sure your bushing goes in in the same position every time in case the hole isn't concentric with the outside diameter of the bushing.

Thanks Calvin. That is good advice. Do you know of a good source for 3/16 bushings that are very precise? I think that is my problem. Maybe I could have some turned for me. Also, what process do you use to apply tension to the back spring in order to get the last pin in? I have tried a hardened "dummy" pin that I sharpened and drove through with no problem andhen tried to drive that pin out with the real nickel silver one. That just didn't work. I finally made a jig that I could put inside the liner and place everything in my vice. Apply some tension and try to tap the pin in. I finally got it that way but it took forever to get everything lined up right. Any thoughts?

I make three pins that I call construction pins out of 416 stainless,they are long enough that when I put two through my sides and then install the spring I can put the long ends that are left sticking out in a vice with soft jaws. Then I put in the third pin in the pivot hole of the side that is on top of the vice with the spring installed,put the bushing on over the pin then,using a rectangular piece of wood that I shaped with a small end to push the spring away from the pivot I slide the blade down onto the bushing and let the spring back down onto the blade tang. Then I put the other side down onto the three pins that are sticking through the spring and pivot. I do this during assembly and disassembly to get every thing right then I make three new pins to use for final construction and use the same method to assemble the knife the final time.
As for bushings,I can't remember where I got the ones I have but I am going to make my own when these run out.

Thanks Calvin! I had to read your response a few times to get the picture but I think I've got it (I'm kinda slow!). That makes a lot of sense and I bet it is a lot easier than doing it with both sides of the knife in place. I'll have to give that a whirl!

Back