First "build" of sorts.

As I stated in my introduction post, I'm completely new to this. A buddy of mine and myself have decided to venture into this together as we've wanted to learn this skill/art for a long time. We picked up a couple of small skinner kits from knifekits.com to practice a bit on handles. Here's the result of mine. I'm quite happy with it. I still need to rub some linseed oil on it. These handles were cut for a solid plank of Walnut we pulled out of the bargain bin at a local hardwood store for a couple of bucks.

Any how, I just thought I'd contribute a little. Thanks!

Gavin

IMG_13418902313127.jpg

Looks like you did a great job on it. Careful though, you will get hooked and start buying all kinds of "must have" equipment. If that was bargain bin wood, I would go back and get some more! Hopefully it is a big bin.

I'm already hooked, and liquidating all sorts of things I've been meaning to get rid of to raise funds for a belt grinder. Already have a HF 1x30, drill press and various other tools. And yes, it was a big pile, but we dug for a while to find the right planks. I have quite a bit left. The plank that the knife is resting on is a bit from the end. Thanks for the compliment!

Nice first handle!

For your next one round the edges . When looking at the back to front end of the knife the end could look like an egg pointing down. Round edges lets you grip the knife easier.

I really like the Walnut. One of my favorite woods.

Thanks guys! George, I thought about rounding the edges, my buddy and I did the same knife at the same time together as a project and he rounded his. I don't know, I just preferred the harder edges in my hand. I have small hands and the sharper angles kind of sit in the groves of my fingers so I can grip it tighter. If it were larger I would have probably rounded it more. Thanks for the advice!

Gavin

Gavin,
Very nice first handle.
If you start to make a fist like you were gripping a knife you will see the elongated egg shape that George is refering to. This is the shape that I find the most comfortable for working with a knife for a few hours at a time. Edges create 'Hot Spots" in you hand and a buyer of your knife may not even realize why? but they don't really prefer to use that knife again after "Hot spots" have happen.

keep them coming that is a excellent first kit knife.

Last edited:
Back