Finally, I think

wmhammond

I'm sitting here in my living room, I've had a shower after a rather long, pretty hot day in my shop. I'm relaxed and am enjoying an adult beverage and I'm pretty proud of myself. As many of you know I am rather new to knifemaking and for the last several months I have been trying to unravel the mysteries of creating a Hamon. To date I have attempted 14 different projects that incorporated a Hamon and have not been satisfied with any of them. In some cases I just trashed the knife and in some cases I just sanded out the poor results and completed the knife without it.

I have asked a million questions of members of this site and pestered John Doyle to distraction. He is truly a friend and one of the finest gentlemen (ask Wall e) on this site and has helped me immensely with this journey and I thank him specifically for the results you will see below. After all those attempts I had evolved to purchasing some 1075 from Aldo and investing in 5 gal. of Parks 50. Additionally, I have paid a lot of attention to improving my hand-sanding technique and results.

So, for my 15th attempt I designed what I call an American Frontier Trapper's Belt Knife. A knife used by an outdoorsman to clean and skin game but hefty enough to deal with wood-in-the-wild: chopping, splitting, sharpening, shaping, etc. The blade is 1/4" thick 1075, 5 1/2" long and the handle is 4 3/4" long. Today, I finished hand-sanding the knife to 1000 grit (to my horror, there was no sign of a Hamon all the way up through the grits so I was kinda bummed and chalking it up to the 15th failure in my journey), but then I etched it in Ferric and WOW!, IT WAS THERE! a real and better than good Hamon. Now I started sweating whether I could buff it out to perfection.

Well, here it is. let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking and commenting (please forgive my photography, I haven't mustered the energy to worry about pictures, I'm working on being able to make excellent knives and sheaths, the photos will come later.

Wallace

IMG_1603.jpgIMG_1602.jpgIMG_1604.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent, Im really diggin the MM also. Im going to give it a(first time) go this weekend with some 1084.

Love those moments when you pull off something you previously had been unable to. I like the shape of that blade Wallace.

Back