Epoxy resist for acid etched blade

IanF

Hey guys

i thought I’d share a tip I recently used for stopping epoxy sticking to parts where you don’t want it. The situation I had was an acid etched and stone washed knife that needed scales glued on. I could have just glued them as normal and ground to the tang etc but of course that would remove the etch. I could reapply the etch with a q-tip but instead I used a wax resist. I don’t think the type of wax makes much difference but in my case I used my own home made mix of beeswax and linseed oil that I use for tool handles. I put a light smear on surfaces I don’t want the epoxy to stick and made sure all other surfaces we nice and clean. Then glue up as normal and once the epoxy goes off it will peel off the waxed areas. It works surprisingly well.

Anyway maybe everyone knows this already but I thought it might help someone.

The below pic is a close up on part of the (tapered) tang and you can see the epoxy peeling off.
IMG_3499.jpeg
fetch

Thank you Gene, do you remove the wax/excess epoxy once fully hard (say next day) or do you find it easier/better to do it once glue has gone off but not fully hard?

Thank you Gene, do you remove the wax/excess epoxy once fully hard (say next day) or do you find it easier/better to do it once glue has gone off but not fully hard?

I've done it both ways, but probably prefer waiting 10 - 12 hours for a harder set.

Back