Edge Pro Apex

opaul

Up until recently I have sharpened all my knives by hand/eye without a guide. I ordered an Edge Pro Apex model a couple of months ago. I found it awkward to use so I watched a few videos. They were using a few upgrades that didn’t come with mine - the sliding three finger index, a magnet holder and a clamp bar. So I ordered all that stuff and it did make a difference.
I sharpened my first knife today and was impressed. I used 120, 220, 400, 600 grits.
I’m sure it will get more comfortable to use with practice.

I am amazed at all of the contraptions currently available to sharpen a knife these days. Some are expensive and some are not, I do not think any one person could try them all...

I often hear a lot of my customers (and friends) say that they "cannot" use a normal whetstone to sharpen a knife because they cannot keep an angle consistently when using them. I looked at your Edge Pro and it seems to be a good sharpener. Please keep posting your opinion on it as you go, I do LOVE a knife sharpening contraption. I currently mostly use this one: https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/benchtop/manual/guided-sharpening-system/

I dropped over $1200 (closer to $1800 I bet) on the TSProf K03. I had every goody you could buy for it and top-notch stones. I watched dozens of YouTube videos as well. I could never get the hang of it. I do better on my grinder and paper wheels.

I'm all for trying the latest and greatest, but I'll never drop that much cash again...

I dropped over $1200 (closer to $1800 I bet) on the TSProf K03. I had every goody you could buy for it and top-notch stones. I watched dozens of YouTube videos as well. I could never get the hang of it. I do better on my grinder and paper wheels.

I'm all for trying the latest and greatest, but I'll never drop that much cash again...
I’m around $160 on this one. I’ve probably got more than that in diamond sharpening plates.

About 15 years ago I bought a shop full of used woodworking tools from a friend who was getting out of the hobby and moving. Included in the lot was a Tormek Supergrind 2000, and a bunch of the sharpening jigs to go with it. I got accustomed to using it with the original stone wheel, but getting a diamond wheel for it was a game changer.
I still needed a coarse and then a fine grit to get to where I wanted to be, so I saved up and a couple years ago I bought a Tormek T-8 to avoid the hassle of changing the wheels. So now I use a 400 grit diamond wheel for setting the edge, and a 1000 grit diamond wheel for the final grind. Then I use a leather belt with green chrome compound on my 2 x 72 at an extreme slow speed to put a mirror polish on the edge.
Most of the time the edge will be hair popping sharp.
I was influenced to stay with the water cooled slow grinders by an article that Larrin published a few years ago talking about how you can develop a lot of heat in a very thin edge using a belt grinder. Tormek was his pick, but now there are clones that are a lot less expensive.

About 15 years ago I bought a shop full of used woodworking tools from a friend who was getting out of the hobby and moving. Included in the lot was a Tormek Supergrind 2000, and a bunch of the sharpening jigs to go with it. I got accustomed to using it with the original stone wheel, but getting a diamond wheel for it was a game changer.
I still needed a coarse and then a fine grit to get to where I wanted to be, so I saved up and a couple years ago I bought a Tormek T-8 to avoid the hassle of changing the wheels. So now I use a 400 grit diamond wheel for setting the edge, and a 1000 grit diamond wheel for the final grind. Then I use a leather belt with green chrome compound on my 2 x 72 at an extreme slow speed to put a mirror polish on the edge.
Most of the time the edge will be hair popping sharp.
I was influenced to stay with the water cooled slow grinders by an article that Larrin published a few years ago talking about how you can develop a lot of heat in a very thin edge using a belt grinder. Tormek was his pick, but now there are clones that are a lot less expensive.
You have a nice set up.

Back