Dumb question about belts??

Lerch

Hi all

I have ran into a odd problem lately with one particular grit belt i have been using. On 4 different 120 grit belts i have been using after the second or so good use they like to twist themselves up into a ball. I havent had any issue, or at the most a very little issue with any other belts of a larger or smaller grit but these 120's are being a major pain.

when i am done using a belt i have some rods mounted on my wall i hang them from much like i have seen in other peoples shop photos. All other belts hang in a nice loop and at most maybe twist over once lightly but these 4 120 grit belts will roll themselves up into a knot. It makes it very difficult to straighten them out and get them on the grinder, so much that i broke a belt that had only been used twice yesterday trying to straighten it.

In OK we have been having record breaking temperatures in the 110deg plus daily and on and off humidity, also my garage where my shop is isnt air conditioned. I dont know if temp and humidity could play into ( or the heat helping me flip out and get over physical with the belt when i broke that one lol )

didnt know if any of you all have had any similar issues, for the record the belts have been norton blaze belts except the first one which was a yellow belt that i had used alot , cant remember the name

thanks
steve

I've had some 3M micron belts twist up on me. It makes them a real PITA to straighten out and mount on the grinder. No idea what causes it.

Doug

I have that happen quite a bit with various belts as well. I'm not sure if they get stretched, absorb moisture, or what's going on. I know it's a pain in the butt to straighten them out though.

Knowing you - put a round powder can in the bottom of the loop to keep it stretched out straight. I know you can't do it for every different belt but if it is only one doing that try it. Just need a little weight to keep it straight..

The only time I've seen belts curl up is when they get wet. Maybe something in the backing is susceptible to moisture in the air and that makes it curl up. But the can bit should do the trick.

I'm guessing they are "J-flex" weight belts. It's the humidity that is most likely doing it. I have it happen in my shopmas well.

I have found that there is only one dumb question. Never ask a woman if she is expecting.

I feel that the humidity is the most likely cause.

yes the J-flex belts do this bad and it is real annoying trying to get them straight.

I have a friend this happens to.
If you have a KMG or similar tracking grinder you cant leave the belt on the machine with tension on it without the machine running. Either take off the belt or release the tool rest arm when done so there is no tension.
Also getting the belt wet or can cause it.
It is only on certain belts due to the backing they use. Usually the light weight ones.

I am using a Bader and all of these belts that i have had the issue with have also been ones that i have left on my grinder over night. I suspect it is most likely this issue and compounded with the heat and humidity we have been having.

Exactly, your problem is leaving the belt on the grinder with that slanted tracking wheel. Bader has the same type tracking system as the KMG.
Try not leaving any belts on your grinder for more than a few seconds if the machine isnt running.

I have burr kings and don't get my belts wet so I don't have this problem. Burr kings dont have that slanted tracking wheel. I can leave my belts on the machine all night with no worry.
I also live in a very humid place.

Last edited:
Leaving a belt on the machine over night will also allow them to stretch and cause additional problems. Take the tension off of the belt.

The weather is the problem. Try rolling the belts up and putting a rubber band around them, then keep them in the fridge. Next round buy heavier backed belts!

Back