Drop Point Bushcrafters

jonathan creason

In the final stages of finishing these 2 up. Both are made from 15n20 steel and 8" OAL with a 4" blade. The top one has Micarta scales, and the bottom one has dyed maple. Any comments and critiques are appreciated.

I appologize for the extremely crappy cell phone pics. I hope to get some decent ones soon.

15n20bushcrafters.jpg

Thanks again guys!

Here's one more I cut from the same pattern. This one has canvas micarta scales with green liners. Once again any critiques or criticisms are appreciated.

canvasbushcrafter2.jpg

Looking good.

One question, Are you hand sanding your blades? The reason I ask is because your plunge looks a little washed out like you drag the paper from the ricasso area down to the tip, through the plunge. I used to do this and could never get the plunge to look crisp. After reading up on hand sanding, I found that it is best to sand the ricasso, then sand the blade up into the plunge, from the tip to the plunge, and sort of lift it up out of the plunge. Does that make sense? It leaves everything looking crisp and shiny. I am still very new at this myself so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I fought this problem for a while. You asked for critiques :biggrin:.

Other than that, your blades are looking excellent! I really like the design, looks like a great knife for any bushcraft task thrown your way.

Thanks for sharing!

I appreciate it, Steven. I did ask for them, and find them very helpful. You're right, I am dragging the sandpaper across the plunge. I tried to keep away from it, but accidentally rolled the paper across it when working on the ricasso. I figured at that point it was either finish it out like that or start over. I opted for the first :biggrin:

I've figured out that I really need to work on my hand sanding tools and methods. Gonna be working on that for the next few blades.

Sure thing Jonathan, I find them very helpful myself.

I fought with this forever on the first 5 or 6 attempts and it was frustrating to say the least. When I got serious, I built a sanding area with tools and a rigid platform. I wish I had done it months ago.

Keep up the great work and can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Back