Drill speed for TI

Freds Edge

Does anyone have any input on drilling Titanium , slow rpm ,high rpm, oil no oil etc for small holes such as 49 ,1/16 and so on.

Seems to be alot of questions about drilling, taping and cutting ti lately. Wish we had a thread just to talk about working ti as I think there are alot of new members(myself included) that are either going to be working with it or are already working it.

What do you think should we put it all in one place and see if some of the more experienced makers will share there knowledge with us?

For the size holes you mentioned, I personally used cutting fluid/oil. Speed is dependent on the drill bit material. I tend to use mostly cobalt bits (U.S. made, because the imports are terrible) runing at a medium speed. For me it more about the "how" I drill..... I use what I call "tap" drilling. Short duration, light pressure, then let the bit come out of the hole to clear chips, then again, and again until the hole is complete. With Ti you have to let the drill bit do the cutting. If you apply too much pressure you either wreck the bit, the hole, or both.

I still have the first attempt I ever made at drilling Ti......its a folder liner, with a 1/16"" HSS drill bit welded into the hole.....where I tried to force the bit through like I'd always done with wood.....didn't work out so well for me! :)

Back