DIY powder coating?

Daniel Macina

Has anyone ever done powder coating themselves? Is it any good? I have a few projects I would like something a little more durable than paint on. Saw that harbor freight (I know, I know) has a power coating setup for like $75. Just didn't know if it was worth it to do DIY.

Interested in the replies here also. I love the powder coat company’s like ESEE does on their knives and would be interested into looking into it for some of mine.

I've been powder coating for a couple years now.... cast bullets that is. I've got a couple of AR lowers I've been planning to powder coat, but I'd have to get some black power. Powder coating is really good for places that need paint. I don't really think it'd work so well for knife blades. Remember, powder coating is nothing more than a tough paint, and as such it can be .001" to .003" thick.

I've been powder coating for a couple years now.... cast bullets that is. I've got a couple of AR lowers I've been planning to powder coat, but I'd have to get some black power. Powder coating is really good for places that need paint. I don't really think it'd work so well for knife blades. Remember, powder coating is nothing more than a tough paint, and as such it can be .001" to .003" thick.

Not thinking knife blades. Thinking some parts I had machined.

OK, for those type parts PC'ing works GREAT!!! I've got a handrail on the front steps that was built and PC'd a couple yr ago and it's holding up really good. MUCH better than paint would ever think about holding up. After PC'ing bullets and seeing how tough the PC is, I'm a fan.

Out of curiosity why would you Powder coat bullets? I've shot a lot of guns and never heard of that. Just curious.

Cast bullets is using a metal mold to pour lead and make your own bullets. These require a lube of sometype to prevent leading in the barrel. I used lube for many years with success. A couple years ago I read about somebody PC'ing the bullet rather than using lube. I tried it, liked it, and now I powder coat most all bullets. For Black Powder shooting lube is preferred over PC because the lube also softens the black powder residue as well as prevent leading.

The powder coating is so strong you can hammer the bullet flat on an anvil with the powder coating staying intact - no cracking or peeling at all.

Many folks like the ability to have different colors for their bullet, red, green, pink, etc. I use a clean PC so they just look like lead bullets.

Ken H>

For parts the Powder works well. Eastwood has a couple of powder machines. I do have an older HF machine. I did some small parts. And used a toaster oven to cure. Worked well, I bought it originally to do the brackets on a car I was working on (gone now). Nice thing about powder is there are as many colors as the rainbow!!

Back