dao or tanto blade from Aldo's low Mn 1075

kevin - the professor

Hello Everyone,

I have finally gotten to play with my new batch of high carbon, water hardening steel from Aldo (easier to describe as low manganese 1075).

The whole reason for this was to find something that worked easily, heat treated easily, and made a good hamon. I am happy with it on all counts.

I can't polish or photograph as well as many of you, so I am not really doing this alloy justice. I was able to get a really vivid hamon in person, and you can sort of see that in the photos.

This is a great steel for mono blades for those of us who are heat treating in a propane forge and can't do a very long, controlled soak.

The heat treatment was normalize x 3, then heat just past critical in dark shop (unfortunately, I have only eyes and magnet, no controlled heating source), quench in warm water for 4 count, then into warm canola that has previously been thinned by using acetone to precipitate the waxes out.

result - positive sori, hamon, good hardening, no cracking... yeah!

I am going to fit this out as a willow leaf dao.

thanks for looking. As always, advice, comments, etc. are invited.

follow this link - I put pics on facebook to save bandwidth, but everyone should be able to link immediately. if not, please let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=97782&id=1407177569&l=99aad977c2

kevin

This post has been edited by Kevin (The Professor): Today, 08:53 PM

Last edited:
Back