Damascus Hammers anyone? :)

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
To help Steve (Kelly) pay for the cost of putting on the Montana Mtn Summit in April, I've created a set of Damascus hammers. Normally these sell for $350 each. Steve will be raffling them off at the Summit.

RMShammers2_zps3fee02e6.jpg

RMShammers1_zpsf879ddc5.jpg

RMSAnglepeen_zpse92844d2.jpg

RMSDoubledraw_zpse4a3f46c.jpg

I'm also going to bring along a couple of Damascus Pens to Raffle off.....I'll post picks of those once I have them finished.

And since I was making Damascus Hammers.....I thought I'd build a "spare". This one has a Maple handle. Haven't decided whether I want to offer it for sale.....or keep it for myself (yea, it's a "vanity" hammer) :)

EdsDamascushammer_zpsc96cfe00.jpg

If I were closer I would be so underfoot it would drive you nuts Ed.

I would like to get back out your way someday.

Absolutely! I've been using 3 different damascus hammers for several years (different sizes/configurations). Never took the time/effort to put a maple handle in one until now......but it turned out so good that it just might have to stay in my shop!

I have one of the non damascus hammers of Ed's, they work as good as they look. Are you guys doing the raffle online?

Hi Everyone!

I've had several people ask if they could purchase raffle tickets for the Hammers.....even if they are not able to attend the Summit.....I spoke with Steve this morning, and he IS going to sell raffle tickets for the hammers online. Details are available on the following thread on my KN forum: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61118

Also, as soon as I can get it posted on my website, I've decided to offer the Maple handled Angle peen for sale! (I can always make another one down the road, but belt bills need paying) :)

Ed those are too purdy to be using to pound steel with! :biggrin:

Its good to see you up and about again! I never forget the unselfish help you have given me with some of my dumb newbie questions! And then you went on to explain it in further detail when I didn't get it the first time!:31:

Ed, I know you told someone who asked this once before but what is the split in the handle? I assume it takes up some of the punishment of the hammer on the user?

I just might have to check into one of those raffles tickets. Does that include shipping since I live on the other side of the country I don't think I will make the hammer in???

I give all the credit for the split handle to Wayne Goddard. Years ago, when I was a "wet behind the ears" knifemaker, Wayne was kind enough to befriend me, and I learned much from him. I noticed that his hammer had the split handles....he let me forge a blade with one of those split handled hammers...and I was amazed. It not only absorbs a lot of the shock that otherwise goes up your arm, but it gives the hammer handle some slight "flex", which gives hammer blows a "snap" at the end of a blow.....don't know exactly how to explain it...but to me it makes a lighter weight hammer do the work of a heavier hammer.......did that make any sense? :)

I THINK the shipping would be extra on the hammers if they have to be shipped.....but, it's less than $20 for both hammers in a Priority Flat rate box! :60:

Yes, that does make sense ED. I figured it had to be something along those lines! Thanks for the insight into the hammer handle I will have to try that the next time I re-handle the next hammer!

I was joshing about the shipping!

Is there a link to the lottery tickets on the hammers?

Not yet......Steve is gona start it on a specific date.....not sure what that is yet, but once I know, I'll make sure I post it on my forum, both here on KD and over on KN too!

Back