Damascus and Koa long hunter

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's another I just got finished for a show in two weeks. The damascus was forged by me last time I was at Ed Caffrey's shop.
It was a cutoff of a twist billet that measured about 1" x 1" x 2". When I drew the piece out to blade length the twist straightened out. Not the most interesting pattern in the world but I think it's pretty cool and goes to show that there is no such thing as "scrap" damascus. :)

Specs:
My own damascus, forged from 1084 and 15n20 steel, about 285 layers if I remember right
9 3/4" overall, 5 1/4" blade, .205" thick at the ricasso
German Silver fittings
Stabilized Koa handle

I could call this one "Stripes". I picked the koa so the stripes in the handle would accent the stripes in the blade.

All comments and discussion welcome.

DamKoa1_zps6ec45cd9.jpg

DamKoa2_zps2b974340-1_zpse71184d5.jpg

DamKoa3_zps880af2a0.jpg

DamKoa4_zps6acc7cbe.jpg

DamKoa5_zpsa71cdbcc.jpg

DamKoa6_zps89160d98.jpg

Last edited:
Very clean lines, great design and well executed knife. That won't be on your table for too long I'm sure

Thank you guys for taking the time to post comments. I really appreciate it.

Very nice. I like it even though I dont really know what a long hunter is.

Eric, thanks for the comment. To me, it is just that........a long hunter. :) The blade is longer than most, including myself prefer for a hunting knife. But some would rather have a hunter with a 5" blade. I just made as large of a blade as I could out of the little billet that I drew out. I didn't want to cut off the 1" or so just to have a shorter blade. So...............Long Hunter. :)

Back