CRYO question

secor c1

hey guys quick question when you do a cryo treatment i liquid nitrogen is there any pre cooling or anything like that or just dunk the blade in the liquid nitrogen, Alos i have heard people say to leave it in for 2 hours and some say over night????different steel different time? or just some people do it differently than others/ thanks guys!

I remove the steel from the foil as soon as I can handle it with gloves, check for warpage & correct if necessary, water quench to room temp., dry the water off the blade, & into the LN. I soak for a minimum of 8 hours but longer doesn't hurt anything. Just be sure that you have your equipment up to tempering temp. before you remove it from the LN. As soon as all the ice melts and it gets back to room temp., start your temper.
Just remember to never leave the blade sitting around until the whole H/T process is complete. The only time the steel should be at a steady temp. is when it is soaking in the furnace, soaking in the LN, or in the tempering oven. The rest of the time the blade should be rising or falling. This converts the maximum amount of RA to Martensite. If steel sits around anywhere during the process, the RA will stabilize and will not convert to Martensite. (or at least a smaller percentage)
I hope all that makes sense.

Back