CPMS30V hard to cut

KenH

Hello all - I got a piece of CPMS30V from Chuck at Alpha Knife Supply - I've cut out a couple of folder blades - boy that stuff is HARD 'n TOUGH!! I put a new Sterrett portaband saw blade on, cut one blade and could tell it cut harder than 12C28N - I didn't even get the 2nd blade finished before that blade just about quit cutting! Drills harder also. I sure hope this blade is as good as it's said to be. I will use dry ice and alcohol.

As delivered, it tested at 25Rc vs 14C28N at 15Rc. At 4,000 SFPM a ceramic belt sure cuts it during profiling.

Does these sound normal for S30V? Anyone have experience with the newer S35V? I'm told it sharpens easier, I wonder if it cuts easier on bandsaw?

Later

Hi Ken, I worked with the S30V a few times and your right, it's a buggar to cut and drill ! Just wait til you heat treat it and put a finish and edge on it !! It is a good tough steel, but I think your customer will cry when it comes time to sharpen it. I gave that stuff up fairly quickly for the S35VN, It machines easier and takes a nice edge.
Just an opinion in a sea of opinions,
Clint

As I read the initial post I was thinking the same thing as Clint....once you heat treat that stuff its a royal pain! I tend to do a lot of final finishing by hand, and with S30 I could always count of that process taking 3-4X longer then with any other SS I've used. I only made about a dozen knives of it....because clients demanded it.....now they tell me they are sorry they went with it, because every time it needs sharpening, they have to box it up and send it back to me....because they can't sharpen it.

S35 is much nicer to work with.....still difficult to cut and drill, but its MUCH easier to finish grind and hand finish then S30. S35 is another one of those "flavors or the month", just like S30....for those who just gotta have the "latest and greatest". With either I'm not sure you'll realize much enhancement with the dry ice/alcohol.....it doesn't reach the low temps you need for the richer SS alloy steels. Liquid nitrogen makes a huge difference in my experience.

Thanks for the input Clint 'n Ed - I was wondering if this was normal with S30V steel to be so hard.

I've about decided this will be my last time with S30V also. Just too hard to work with, and I've not even got to the harden part yet. This is for me - While I do sell a few knifes, it's not something I push for. My usual sell is like the wife's chef knife I sold a while back. A contractor doing some work here saw it, wanted it - I named a price that I felt was on the high side. Not a problem he says and took the knife. Wife said "make me another and DO NOT SELL IT!!!

My plans for this is to replace the blade in a Kershaw 1670 Blur I've been carrying for a couple yr or more. It was a off Amazon with 420HC steel. While it will sharpen to shave, it's nothing like the "shaving sharp" my 14C28N blades get, nor does it hold an edge very well. I've decided to make a new blade for it and was planning a S30V - but not so sure now. 14C28N might be more the ticket. I would have used S35V, but Chuck at Alpha didn't have it when I ordered.

I surely like those Sandvik steels - very fine grain and are easy to sharpen and seem to hold an edge pretty good. Also, Sandvik says liquid N2 doesn't provide an benefit over a -95ºF, and even a -5ºF will help over no freeze. I don't know, but I expect they have a pretty good idea how to get the best from their steels.

Ken H>

Ken, This year I have tried the Sandvik steels and I am very impressed with them, they are so clean compared to most! So easy to get to the clean steel underneath the light discoloring of the raw bar. Easy for the customers to sharpen, acts like carbon steel with the benefit of being stainless. I still like the S35VN , I compare it to working with D-2 as far as drilling and grinding.
Clint

Clint, I totally agree on the Sandvik steels, and the price is right on them. Once I forget how hard this S30V is, I might have to try S35V. I'll keep an eye open for some.

Ken H>

Ed, I meant to comment on the dry ice vs liquid N2 - While I would LOVE to use liquid N2, it's just not reasonable for me to get the equip required for handling liquid N2 for only 1 or 2 blades. Dry ice is enough of a stretch, but I do plan to HT with dry ice this time.

Ken H>

Back