coote grinder help?

bushcraftbasics

hey guys,

tried the search but it just confused me further...so i guess ill ask outright...

i am getting a coote 2X72 and was looking for recommendations on motor choices and how to best control speed and get it all hooked up

thanks in advance!

I put one together last week. Norm has 3 motors he recommends. I picked the mid price one. It was this motor.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=&qty=1&item=10-2380

This is how mine is set up, except I switched the pulleys around after I took this pic. There were no instructions so it took me about 4 hours to modify a stand and get it all set up and wired.

956B3BA7-0A4C-4998-9EA3-1F01476657A7-824-000002B30B73A4A4.jpg

I bought the 2 pulleys from Norm. But you could find them elsewhere I'm sure. The 2, 3 step pulleys give me 3 speeds. It's a poor mans Variable speed.

Ricky,
Excellent set up on the Coote Grinder. I still have mine that I bought 16 years ago!
It was my first 2 x 72" Big Boy Knife maker grinder.

Get this link belt stuff from Harbor freight " Vibration Free Link Belt Accu-Link - item#43771 "
You can get it under other names. It allows you to make any size belt you need and get rid of a lot of vibration problems.

I used the old fan belt off of my truck, Two Chicago air cond, three level step pulleys and a 1750RPM 2 HP motor a friend gave to me to get rolling many years ago.

BushCraft,
Norm is a great man to do biz with and I have sent my Coote grinder to him about every five years or 1500- 2000 knives or so to have him replace all the bearings and check if the wheels are true or need resurfacing etc.. I haven't had it hooked up for the past two years or so since I have two other three wheel grinders but I won't sell it cause if the others break down I can have my Coote up and running within a hour or so. Also if I ever want to set up a portable machine in the back of my Pickup truck or any where else? I can do it very quickly! I would be very confident with his recommendations on a motor and pulleys etc.

Im sure Norn will set you straight on the set up but you are welcome to P.M. me for any questions etc when you get everything in one place.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hey Guys,
One trick I came up with on my own was to remove the top dust cover on the 5" wheel and use it to do your inside radius profile on handles etc..

I remember Norn laughing when I sent it back to him the first time.
He asked where's the dust cover? I told him I took it off so I could use the 5" diameter wheel, he cracked up!

If you were to replace the 5" with a 90 diameter coated wheel you could hollow grind on it too!
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I may have to give that a try to see if I can use it to grind on radii that are less than 10" in diameter.

Ricky, how useful do you find that knife rest on your Coote.

Doug

Doug, do you mean the one on the contact wheel? or the main rest. The main rest has a design flaw that is easily remedied. It is not adjustable to the belt. It would not be to hard to make the screw hole slots so that the rest could slide forward and back and I don't know why norm doesn't do this. But that being said, The rest on the grinder i was using before was so inadequate that this one is a marked improvement over what I was using. Most of my grinding before was free hand by necessity.

The rest on the contact wheel I have only used once and that was to do some hollow grind on a guard I made. It worked very well for that. Overall I like the grinder.

Back