Black oxide Benghazi Warfighters

Stormcrow

Been playing around with a black oxide finish that I'm really digging and plan to be using more in the future.

These are the first two knives that I've sold with that finish. Benghazi Warfighters in 5160 with black Tero Tuf handles and flared stainless tube rivets, black Kydex sheaths. One went to Australia and the other to Canada.

And what the blades looked like without the black oxide.

Great looking knives - I love the black finish. I wonder if you would mind sharing your method. Apparently you blackened the blades after the handles were on - how did you do that. I have been thinking about a black knife and I have been reading up on a process called "Parkerizing". It is a hot process that I assume you must do before the handles are put on. That, of course, means that you have to fit the handles around the blackened blade - that sounds like trouble but I don't know another way. Thanks

Wallace

Thank y'all!

Wallace - This is Caswell black oxide. The almost-finished knife is dipped cold in the solution for a few minutes, then rinsed and the sealer that comes with the kit is brushed on. The last thing I do is sharpen, but the secondary bevel is already established prior to applying the black oxide.

Just so I understand: If I were to build a 1095 knife blade, polish it to mirror, add A2 bolsters polished to mirror also and then added a wood handle, I could dunk the whole thing in the solution and it wouldn't hurt the wood. Or should I dip it before I add the wood handles and then finish the knife handles up against the black surfaces of the knife? Thanks,

Wallace

Haven't personally tried it with a wooden handle yet, but Daniel Winkler uses the same stuff with maple handles. I'd do a simple test knife before doing anything fancy. Might find you need to wax the wood first.

Back