"Big Carver" Kitchen/Carving Knife

J. Neilson

I just finished this piece up for a gentlemen just in time for Thanksgiving.

kitchen-big_carver.jpg

This is a large, full-tang kitchen/carving knife with a blade of 400+ layer damascus done in a "raindrop" pattern. The blade has a 10" cutting edge, approx. 1 1/2" high (spine to edge) and 15" overall length with a flat spine and rounded thumb rest area. The bolsters are ball-bearing canister damascus with hidden pins. The handle scales are A-grade Desert Ironwood Burl done in a "palm swell" style secured with stainless steel handle bolts capped with tri-tone mosaic pins.

007_359975.jpg

008.jpg

009_567795.jpg

010_314749.jpg

011_50999.jpg

012_923053.jpg

015_379080.jpg

016_197424.jpg

Thanks again.

Outstanding piece of work, J.! I really like how you capped the bolts with the mosaic pins - teriffic idea!

Well, as I mentioned, the gent who ordered the "Big Carver" asked me to make a Fork to match.... let me know what you think (I know my pix arenn't the best, really wish I was able to have Chuck Ward photo the pair).

matching_fork.jpg

015_301952.jpg

014_206285.jpg

013_351589.jpg

011_51171.jpg

010_26806.jpg

009_624954.jpg

008_417783.jpg

So, how'd I do?

Very Nice looking fork.
One suggestion is that you put a bit more curve in the fork so a large piece of just cut meat can be held against the fork with the Carving knife and the upswept tine points will dig in to the piece of meat a bit more.

I don't have any pics, But I just had a customer bring by some carving sets I made for him about 12 years ago for clean up and sharpening.
It reminded me of how flat my forks were back then and my progression of learning to bring up the tines for a more affective hold when carving and particularly when serving out the meat slices.

It's a double bend that I use at the tines to bring them up, And then again just before the handle, To bring it down. Sort of a reverse Z that has been elongated and rounded out.

Great work.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

You could carve the back sided out of a brontosaurus and look really good doing it!!! Nice execution James!!!

im feeling hungry,brontosaurus sounds good to me max, whos carving?

thats a graet combo and i am sure he was thrilled to get it right before thanks giving, 2 thumbs up.

Last edited:
Back