Been playing with Feathered W's

ZebDeming

I've been tinkering around with some feather patterns. I'm using Aldo's 1095 and 15n20 starting with 18 layers and the 15n20 doubled up. The first one came out ok, but when drawing it out after the last weld, it got cocked a bit and the pattern was different from side to side. I still finished grinding it out and while I was working on the bolsters I decided to soak it a bit longer in the ferric. Well to make a long story short, I forgot about it in the ferric and left it sit overnight, here's what I had the next day

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

I was pretty bummed, but I'm still on the fence about finishing it out. I made the decision last weekend to forge up another billet. It takes some time to get forged up, but the pattern is worth it. Here's the pic of it rough ground out.

IMG_0144.jpg

I've now got it forged to shape and some REALLY nice ash burl coming for the handles. Hopefully I can finish it out as nice as the steel and wood are.

Zeb

Well I must say I am not the one to ask here because I got no first hand knowledge and most Damascus tends not to impress me, (not knocking it, just not my cup of tea)! I tend to think too many get hung up on the Damascus hype without truly knowing or understanding what the process is all about. However I do like the direction that the metal is moving with this one!

Like you said though, I think the length of duration on the etch may have been a bit much!:p:biggrin: Not laughing at you but laughing with you, (sometimes it's better than crying)!

Hey just cause it ain't my cup of tea so to speak, I can still appreciate all the time and effort it takes to get a pattern like that, and even more the effort doing it so that it is duplicate-able! Good luck on this next run.:57:

Thank you C Craft! I've definatly got some time into this one, but working in front of a hot fire is kinda relaxing after a hard day's work :) I tend to like the more organic patterns, one's that seem planed out just don't do it for me, even though there's just as much planing in this.

I got the blade forged and starting to grind it out. I etched it to see the pattern to plan the grind lines, I still ain't too good at grinding, here's hoping I don't screw it up now.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Thanks for looking
Zeb

OH WOOOOOOOOOOW that is going in the right direction! Your going to keep on with work like that and make me a fan of Damascus after all! :35:

Looks to me like it is totally screwed up, and since I'm such a NICE guy, you can send it to me so you won't have to look at it anymore! What can I say, I'm a giver! Selfless as I am, as long as you still have good thickness left and can grind it back flat to get the high spots out you should be fine, but if you just can't stand looking at it, my offer still stands!!! Seriously it is some great looking feather pattern! Rex

I'm a sucker for feather pattern! My favourite.

That's a bummer on the first one but it still looks good. I would just sharpen the edge up and make a really distressed looking handle. Would be superb.

I like them both, the first one can still be saved. It looks like a ruffled feather from a cranky crow right now! Your second one looks just great. Dave.

Back