Bar Stock Bent?

Daffy

I have a piece of 3/32 1095 that is warped. What would be the best way to deal with this? Is it for each knife or try to straighten the bar? I also have a piece of 1/8 1084 with a slight bend in it too.

Pic of the 1095:
2012-12-05_19-48-16_586_zps93d68d5e.jpg

Happy Holiday
John

You should be able to bend it by hand unless it has been heat-treated. You could either bend the whole bar, or each blade, doesn't matter, which ever works best for you.

I use a lot of 3/32" stock for kitchen knives and most of it has some bend in it when I get it...none that bad. I will straighten it enough by hand to get my patterns scratched on and cut out. Then straighten it again after the knife has been profiled. I don't grind the blade before heat treating because it will more then likely be warped after heat treating so I deal with getting it perfectly straight after it is heat treated. there is a small window after the quench to work it straight until it becomes brittle or if you miss that window you can clamp it straight before the first temper and hopefully it will come out straight.

Well I'm not equipped to do my own heat treat so I'll try hand straightening it before i send it out

Back