Bad pics cool knife

backtines

Guys sorry for the pics of this knife..I made the knife for Mikey's friend Al. He wanted a rustic old style looking knife.. I made this knife in between the knife build titled " One special knife with special meaning "that my son made. I took a few quick pics with my cell phone and never got the chance to settle in and take different angles. ..The knife came and went to fast. Lol.

Anyway , aged blade . Copper wrap bolster, jigged buffalo horn, copper peened pins.

I still wish I had a few more pics.. Thanks for looking.

20140325_200853_zps276c42c5.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_5812_zps6d4038bc.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks guys.. Here how I age the blade.. I copied this post off a previous thread I did..

Very cool knife Mikey...may I ask how you achieve your aged finish?

1. After ht and temper , I hand sand upto 600 grit

2. Clean blade real good, get rid of all oil from hand sanding, wipe down with alcohol.

3. After blade is clean, hang blade in Feric Chloride for 2 min or so.

4. Remove blade from FC and then put hang it into bleach. (I have a PVC tube of FC and next to it a have a PVC tube of bleach )

5. Leave blade in bleach for 10 min or so. Don't mess with it , let the bleach do its job ( when the bleach mixes with the FC, it causes a chemical reaction and cause the blade to rust)

6. Remove blade from bleach (after 10 min) and clean all the brown goop and dark oxides off The blade in your swamp bucket. I use a piece of 400 or 600 to clean.. Don't expect the blade finish to look like mine after the first cleaning. You're gonna have to repeat this cycle about 4 times or more until you get the look you want

7 After cleaning off blade , go back into FC and repeat cycle till you get pitting look you want .

8. After getting the pitting you want. (You'll notice it while cleaning in swamp bucket). Clean blade and back into the FC for a min or so just to turn blade dark.

9. Take blade out and spray blade with windex ( this will stop the FC from working.. Spray it good ) let it drip for a while , then I hit it with a blow dryer to dry it off a little , then spray it with wd40 . Now don't touch it for an hour or so.

10 after blade is hanging for an hour ,wipe it down and LIGHTLY hand sand with 600 or 800 grit. All you want to do is sand over the high spots. The dark will stay in all the nooks and crannies.. And you will see a beautiful finish.

11 after the wiping and light hand sanding , your done. I lightly buff, but you gotta be careful you don't pull the dark out of the holes if you know what I'm saying..

Oh yeah, I hand pin my bolsters and pin my scales and get as close to finish as possible before you dip our blade.. You don't wanna start grinding handles and bolsters after you have the nice aged finish on your blade..

Take a practice piece of steel and practice on it while your working in your shop on other knives , just so you get the hang of it.

I hope this helps you guys..

Back