Back from the engraver!!

maxcutter03

I got this baby back from the engraver and finnally took some pics!!!

engrave3.jpg

Maker's side

engrave1.jpg

Obverse side.

engrave2.jpg

enjoy

Hey Marvin, that turned out beautiful!!!!! What a fitting embellishment to an already great looking knife. Congrats.

Nice work by bladesmith and engraver.
I need a lesson in terminology! Is the 'maker's side' the side of the blade with the makers name on it?

Thanks
Mike

Nice work by bladesmith and engraver.
I need a lesson in terminology! Is the 'maker's side' the side of the blade with the makers name on it?

Thanks
Mike

The makers side of the knife is the side that the maker puts his mark on. If you look at the picture it is the side that faces you when the point is towards your left hand and the cutting edge is facing down.

Marvin,
It's not that your work needs any help but the engraving goes really well with an already Great looking knife. Wade

With all due respect, I'm certain what you're describing as the "makers side" (point facing left) is also called the obverse side (like the front of a coin). The other side is the "reverse".

Regardless of that tiny quibble, it's a beautiful, well-designed knife and the engraving adds a touch of class without being gaudy at all. It has all the little custom touches like tapered tang, chamfered thong tube, "dovetail" bolsters etc that show a lot of craftsmanship. Outstanding!

I especially like your nice clean plunges, and the way your edge goes past the plunge a little. I imagine that means more usable sharp edge. My plunges are not-so-good but I'm getting better; examples like yours encourage and inspire me to do better.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I'm certain what you're describing as the "makers side" (point facing left) is also called the obverse side (like the front of a coin). The other side is the "reverse".

Regardless of that tiny quibble, it's a beautiful, well-designed knife and the engraving adds a touch of class without being gaudy at all. It has all the little custom touches like tapered tang, chamfered thong tube, "dovetail" bolsters etc that show a lot of craftsmanship. Outstanding!

I especially like your nice clean plunges, and the way your edge goes past the plunge a little. I imagine that means more usable sharp edge. My plunges are not-so-good but I'm getting better; examples like yours encourage and inspire me to do better.

Jim,

Getting a clean plung line is as easy as this.......work your hollow/flat/convex grind until it is completely finished. THEN work the ricasso to completion. This will give you that nice clean line you are looking for. If you are bringing your knife to a mirror finish be careful not to ride your line with your buffer for too long. Get in get it done and get off...do most of your buffing with the point of your blade towards the floor. This way your buffing wheel will only glance your line. Works for me.

Ain't no Jim here! :biggrin:

I started out setting plunges on the grinder, and found it too easy to goof-up. Lately I've been setting the plunge with files before grinding bevels, and that's been a big help. I do touch up the tang/ricasso area for flatness and a clean line after beveling, kind of like you said. I use the flat platen for this and you're right, it does help.

Very nice that all goes together beautifully . What did you use for your bolster ? and who did your engraving? Steve

I saw and handled this knife in person at The Knifemakers Guild show and I can tell you the pictures, as good as they are, don't do it justice. It is beautiful and well executed, the grinds are perfect!

Back