Anyone have a mod to slow down a grizzley grinder??

Diamond G Knives

Going to be dusting off the Ol Grizz soon. Was wondering if anyone had a modification for slowing them down?? Would a transformer work or would you burn out the motor?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Jay is right....about the only solution for slowing it down is a smaller drive/contact wheel. Trying to hook any type of "speed control" to that motor will only burn out the windings.

Only problem there is that the contact wheel is direct drive from the motor. Its like a long spindle buffer with a wheel on one end and a contact wheel on the other. Just need to get use to it being fast again!

I am going to try to modify it to take tooling arms like the KMG though! Will let you know how it works out!

God Bless
Mike

Mike I think there was one example where on the buffer side a person put another pulley and drove this off of another motor to slow it down. Free wheel it through the motor .

I slowed down my Grizzly with a 5" drive wheel. I set up an idler wheel so that when I switch from 8" to the 5" drive wheel I don't have to adjust for the belt length. The place where I got the wheel is out of business now so I can't help with a source.

I have tired of the Grizz work rest. Anyone have a design for a better rest??

regards,
Dave Suitor

I slowed down my Grizzly with a 5" drive wheel. I set up an idler wheel so that when I switch from 8" to the 5" drive wheel I don't have to adjust for the belt length. The place where I got the wheel is out of business now so I can't help with a source.

I have tired of the Grizz work rest. Anyone have a design for a better rest??

regards,
Dave Suitor

How is your grinder set up? Could you post a picture? I initially wanted a grizzly grinder and had come up with a few ideas for the work rest but then decided to build my own. When thinking up ways to attach a better work rest, it became clear that one attached to a table, rather than the grinder itself, would work best.

How about something like this?

grizmod.jpg

Last edited:
I too have tired of the work rest. Im thinking of mounting the grinder on a piece of plate so I can weld a sq tubing base to it and make an adjustable rest "off the grinder" Also trying to think of a way to mount a piece of square tubing to the frame so I can mount a KMG type tooling arm.

just trying ot get by till I can afford more Beaumont Bling!!!

Thanks for all the input! Please keep them comming!!!!

God Bless
Mike

Mike,
This is my Grizzly with the 5" drive wheel. You are limited to using the platen or slack belt when the small wheel is installed.

web604px-0234.jpg

Again, by using an idler I can switch contact wheels with no other adjustments. When the 8" wheel is installed the idler is out of play.

regards,
dms

Last edited:
dms,

I came up with the same set up using a skate board wheel.
Not for reducing speed but it helped tracking 1000%.

Rudy

Back