Anybody regularly make Middle Eastern style knives?

Travis Fry

I'm about to start making a few khanjars (maybe 5 or 6) and was hoping you Dogs could help. There are two issues I'm having trouble conceptualizing the making of. First, does anyone have any ideas about how to make the center ridge (think dagger) nice and sharp, as below. I've got a few ideas, but I'm hoping there's a better way than I've come up with so far. BTW, this is some nice wootz, no? I wish it were mine, but no dice.
silver-turkish-or-kurdish-dagger-khanjar-10-3152.jpg

Second, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to fit a handle shaped like the one below. It isn't the horse head that bothers me (that just takes a bit of whittling, right :3:), it's the double curved front. These blades have no ricasso, and do (or should) have a fairly pronounced center ridge. Mine will likely be blackwood or rosewood rather than jade, but the problem is similar regardless. Nothing I'm coming up with really seems to be the "it" solution.

If anyone has done any of these, or has any ideas, I want to hear it. I'd love a pm, email, or even phone call too, but that can come later.

05_simon_ray03.jpg

Thanks,

Travis, could a ball tip end mill cutter w/m+f ridge line templates (via french curves) help? Just thinking how I'd solve this problem in a woodworkers perspective w/router ,top or bottom bearing bits, and templates to match the curve of ridge line. Just a stab? Sincerly, Ron.

Your ridge is forged that way in the wootz knife. Steve Johnson makes his double edged fighter and goes back and regrinds the center line with a 3 inch wheel to give it that sharpness.

Back