Any comments on the TW90 Grinder

SYD32

I am looking for a grinder and found the TW90. Seems kind of pricey but the videos make it look very user friendly. Has anybody out their used one before? The grinder is made in Coolidge,AZ by Travis Weurtz.

thanks

Travis' grinder is the best in the business IMHO

It has it's quirks, as everything does, but it still just beats everything.

It's the most flexible thing out there, tracks better than anything I have seen, and runs Smooooth and quiet.

I haven't actually done the math, but is it really pricier than other grinders?

Considering all that it does, I doubt it is.

It's a vertical grinder with a contact wheel, platen, small wheel and slack belt setup.
PLUS it's a horizontal grinder with all the same options.
And it comes with an awesome work rest system that does more things than I can think of.

Dang, I sound like a salesman.
I don't even own one, but I have messed around with them, and If I was buying my 1st grinder, it would be the one.

I'm happy with my KMG too though, it's a great machine.
But by the time I bought all the attachments, and a horizontal grinder, I'm sure I had that much or more $$$ invested

Last edited:
I agree with Brian in that it's a great machine....with quirks. I've used one, and even thought about buying one, but those "quirks" are what kept me for doing it. For the way I grind, the platen assembly would require extensive modification, and I simply dislike the the size and type of material used for the tooling arms. The one that I used already had the aluminum tooling arm "chewed up" where the tightening bolt bit into it, and the tooling arm was slightly warped from an accidental drop while the platen was still on it.

It's still a super nice machine, and in many ways it could be considered the "Cadillac" of belt grinders...for me it was just the total cost versus the amount of modifying I would need to do to be satisfied with it.

Hmmm....

This is the first I've ever heard of this grinder. Looks pretty innovative, convenient, and easy to use.

I may just have to start saving for one!

Just out of curiosty where did you use one?

I agree with Brian in that it's a great machine....with quirks. I've used one, and even thought about buying one, but those "quirks" are what kept me for doing it. For the way I grind, the platen assembly would require extensive modification, and I simply dislike the the size and type of material used for the tooling arms. The one that I used already had the aluminum tooling arm "chewed up" where the tightening bolt bit into it, and the tooling arm was slightly warped from an accidental drop while the platen was still on it.

It's still a super nice machine, and in many ways it could be considered the "Cadillac" of belt grinders...for me it was just the total cost versus the amount of modifying I would need to do to be satisfied with it.

I haven't actually done the math, but is it really pricier than other grinders?

Considering all that it does, I doubt it is.

It's a vertical grinder with a contact wheel, platen, small wheel and slack belt setup.
PLUS it's a horizontal grinder with all the same options.
And it comes with an awesome work rest system that does more things than I can think of.

Well, just for grins and giggles, I went ahead and did the math for an "equivalent" KMG setup. I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions:

8" grinder package (8" contact wheel, flat platen, work rest, tool arm) $920
VFD bracket: $38
Spare Tool Arm: $80
Small Wheel Attachment: $83
Base Plate: $115

Horizontal Grinder Package: $840
72" extension: $94

KBAC-27D (2hp VFD) ~$400
KBAC-24D (1hp for horizontal) ~$300
1hp and 2hp 3phase motors: ~$500

TOTAL COST = $3370 + Shipping
TW-90 = $3400 + Shipping

Now, here's a couple of things to keep in mind:
KMG Option: You're getting TWO VFD/Motor setups and TWO complete grinders (verticle and horizontal)
Base Plate is not necessary for the verticle grinder, so you can save $115 right there.
I'm actually being generous on Motor and VFD prices as well, as I've priced them quite a bit cheaper in the past from various suppliers. I'm giving (in my opinion) an average cost here.
I did not include a "tool arm" for the small wheel attachment, as I'm not sure if Travis does either. I don't believe either include wheels, so that's moot point (though the horizontal KMG DOES include one small wheel IIRC).

Now, also keep in mind that the stock KMG work rest is not as versatile as the TW-90's, but I do not believe the TW-90's flat platen is as versatile as the KMG's. That's just my opinion, but it's also my opinion that these two points cancel eachother out.
I also think that the vulcanized rubber wheels from beaumont are probably of a slightly higher quality than urethane wheels, but that may be up fo debate as well.

Possible KMG advantages:
Rubber Wheels
1.5" STEEL tool arms
2 dedicated variable speed machines for the same price or cheaper (also zero setup time from one to another)
more versatile flat platen

Possibe TW-90 advantages:
better tracking
more versatile tool rests
smaller footprint with one machine
perhaps easier to change/adjust belts?

Forgive me if I left anything out or overlooked anything. I'm trying to be as fair/impartial as possible on the comparisons.

As for me, KMG has a clear advantage as I'd rather have two machines and less set up time. And although the TW-90 has it's innovations and novelties, I just have a hard time putting that much money for what is in reality a single machine, with a single VFD and motor. It also doesn't appear to use any more material to fabricate, not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things I suppose, but it might make me feel better about the price.

Lastly, for the potential money saved, you could probably get a MAP arm or a rotating platen.

Thanks for doing all the math Andrew. I have a TW90 ordered. For me, it was the space saving feature. I just don't have the space for a vertical and horizontal grinder. I'll post pics and give an update when I get mine in.
Jess

Thanks for doing all the math Andrew. I have a TW90 ordered. For me, it was the space saving feature. I just don't have the space for a vertical and horizontal grinder. I'll post pics and give an update when I get mine in.
Jess

Looking forward to the updates.

I think the space saving feature may just be one of the larger deciding factors for a lot of people. That ratcheting belt tensioner is pretty sweet too. I was actually dead set on saving up for the TW-90 myself, until I sat down and figured out what I could really buy for $3400+ dollars.

If it was priced like a single grinder instead of two, there wouldn't even be a question. But since I actually have the space, I just can't justify it anymore.

Maybe if they ever go on sale for about $1000 cheaper.... ;)

Back