An Experiment To Minimize Hand Sanding

MTBob

One thing I dislike is hand sanding - on anything. So to preserve my aging hands I'm always looking for a way for a machine to do the work. I've begun making more kitchen knives and I've fiddled around with some grinder attachments that seem to offer a way to get a hand sanded look in rather short order.
Here's what I've done:
For a while I tried using rubber contact wheels, 2",4",10", but I found it resulted in a belt bump irregularity that wasn't good and it didn't provide enough flatness for a smooth look. Some time ago I added a horizontal platen to my grinder (red angle iron piece) that's used with a T bar setup to sharpen knives.
I tried using it with Gator belts to finish kitchen knives. The flat metal horizontal platen worked OK, but didn't offer any softness to the blade shape, particularly if there is a convex curve.
1676161809540.png
So I thought well why not added the leather softener I use on the vertical platen. It's held on with some magnets.
1676222267038.png
This platen attachment is set higher than the front contact wheel so that the only contact is on the flat surface. Spraying a little silicone on the leather surface minimizes friction.
The belt is run slowly in reverse direction, about 40% on the VFD. This effectively turns the process into a hand operated surface grinder / sander. It also assists transitioning from the primary grind flat onto the ricasso area without a noticeable plunge line. This same arrangement could also be performed on the vertical platen, but the position is not as easy to use as with the horizontal setup.
1676222399158.png
Here's the result with A100 / 180 grit gator belt. For sure, I'm not a hand sanding expert. But, this method seems to offer a good enough finish. Of course finer grits offer a shinier surface, but I'm not fond of that look. The long flat leather platen smooths out any irregularities created from previously grinding the primary angle, perhaps even better than what's achieved by hand sanding.
1676222897659.png
(Comments & critiques are welcome)

I've been doing that for a couple of years now - really works good. Even an 80 grit belt leaves a decent finish, but easy to finish up with lenghtwise sanding with 120, then 400 grit on the 2X72 for a nice finish. I'll "touch up" with hand sanding but that's about it.

I've seen similar platens before, often called a WaterFall Platen. They help with plunge cuts and getting them even, too. EDM stones also take a lot of time off hand sanding as well!

I've seen similar platens before, often called a WaterFall Platen. They help with plunge cuts and getting them even, too. EDM stones also take a lot of time off hand sanding as well!
They use them a lot for Integrals also!

I just made a platten this past weekend. I extended it over the top of the contact wheel.
I will try the leather on top, great idea!!!!

I've been doing that for a couple of years now - really works good. Even an 80 grit belt leaves a decent finish, but easy to finish up with lenghtwise sanding with 120, then 400 grit on the 2X72 for a nice finish. I'll "touch up" with hand sanding but that's about it.
Hey Ken. Can you post some pictures of your set up and some how it’s made discussion?

Sure can - give me a couple of days and I'll start a thread with photo.

Taz just posted a setup that looks much like the one I built a few yrs ago.

I use my disc to get things fairly clean on flat ground blades, or edm stones on hollow blades, and 600 grit greaseless compound on a hard muslin wheel afterwards, then move to hand sanding. Greaseless compound is great, but you have to do a little hand sanding no matter what since it will leave ripples in the blade that are pretty obvious if you look at it lengthwise.

One thing I've found using this setup for grinding flats on a full grind profile is that a bonded belt running on a hard platen doesn't leave a particularly good finish. The engineered Trizact belt with a some kind of softener makes for a much better surface finish.
But, I also found that the Trizact pads can become uneven due to routine point grinding in one area. Applied gently, this tool can be used to resurface and flatten the pads on the belt, giving a more uniform grinding profile. These profilers really do a great job rejuvenating a clogged up Trizact belt.
1676491918849.png

I haven't tried it but I suspect that Trizact belts won't hold up in a sharp waterfall configuration.
That Ameribrade fixture is impressive... but, kinda complicated to setup in it's many variations.

Back