Aluminum pins for scales?

AJH_Knives

I did a quick search and didn't find what i was looking for. Is it okay to use aluminum for the tang/ scale pins? they polish up so easily compared to stainless. pros and cons anyone?

Aaron

Sure, I've used copper. It's probably softer. All you're trying to do is to give the epoxy support so that the bond won't break with a shearing force to the handle.

Doug

My biggest concern when using pins is what will they look like in the future.
Brass and copper inevitably turn green and this can even seep into some scale materials and damage them in extreme cases.
Stainless and gold are the most stable in color with bronze running a close second.
I haven't used aluminum but imagine it would polish up nicely but may oxidize with age.

Just my opinion,
Steve

Aluminum works well as a pin but does oxidize like all aluminum does. This usually isn't a huge deal. You would be surprised how many production knives use aluminum for cost and ease of manufacturing. It's a lot of them.

Okay, thanks guys... one more question. How would the finish hold up if I decided to do the Crazy Glue finish on the scales after they were mounted on the knife. would that not seal the aluminum pins. The last one I did with aluminum I coated the handle with poly while it was on the knife. then sanded with steel wool. I was hoping that would keep the finish from oxidizing..

Sealing it that way would slow it down. Oxidized aluminum isn't that noticeable. It just won't be shiny.

AJH,

Just my opinion only here so take it FWIW- I'd recommend completely ditching the idea of aluminum. The main reason is it's cheap and your finished knives will be associated with cheap. No way around this IMHO.

I'd also ask what type of stainless are you having trouble getting a polish on and what's your procedure.

Hand sand the pin to 800 grit with a hard sanding block then buff with green chrome. Not difficult or even time consumining really.

I do apologize if this comes off as rude as that's not at all my intension :) however I do feel honesty is always the best policy

-Josh

Josh, no offense taken..
I am not sure on the type of stainless. I bought it at the hobby store. maybe I am doing my handles all wrong. when i glue the handles on they are not finished. I finish them on the knife, meaning finish sanding and everything. I make sure i cut the pins close to the handle material, then i sand by hand, some with a dremel, and some back on the belt sander (slack belt) I just can't seem to get them perfect...then i buff

what type of stainless should i be using?

Your procedure sounds perfect to me.

In all likelyhood your only problem is not taking the pins to a high enough grit before buffing assuming you're after a mirror polish on the pins. I'd try hand sanding to 800 or above before buffing.

Describe or post a pic of what the pins look like when they're not perfect.

If you're buffing with Pink no scratch or White compund that could potentially also cause issues.

-Josh

Aaron,

Have you considered 303 stainless. It is inexpensive and very easy to finish and polish. About the same as brass and will match your blade. It will polish to a shine with 1500 grit sand paper if you don't have access to a buffer.

Jay

Back