AEB-L - When do you remove it from foil?

Heikki

KNIFE MAKER
I'm just starting to work with AEB-L. Yesterday I ran test coupons to dial in my temps. I'm getting 62 hrc with just freezer cryo right now. I may move up to dry ice and see how much more I can get out of it.

My question today is when do most folks remove the blade from the foil packet? After quench, cryo, or temper? I plan to clamp everything with angle iron to help minimize warp from cryo thru temper, so am assuming I should take them out at that stage.

Thanks!

I think most folks (like myself) remove blade from SS packet after plate quench. I tend to remove from oven,
1. then to plate quench,
2. After plate quench remove foil & clamp to a bar,
3. into freezer (-5°F) for a few minutes,
4. then into LN still clamped to bar.

After a period of time (hr or 3), remove from LN, rest on table to warm to room temp, then into 1st temper.

I think most folks (like myself) remove blade from SS packet after plate quench. I tend to remove from oven,
1. then to plate quench,
2. After plate quench remove foil & clamp to a bar,
3. into freezer (-5°F) for a few minutes,
4. then into LN still clamped to bar.

After a period of time (hr or 3), remove from LN, rest on table to warm to room temp, then into 1st temper.
Thanks Ken. I've been using an older post from Devin Thomas and your synopsis of it as my starting point. So far working out well.

AEB-L is my main knife steel. I plate quench in the foil. Remove the foil, go into the freezer for 30 minutes or so and then into the tempering oven.

I tried dry ice and RV antifreeze and saw no improvement in my blades. I don't plan to use LN either.

I remove it after the plate quench. I also clamp it to some aluminum blocks to minimize warping in cold treatment. If I am using thin material I also temper with it clamped to the blocks because to me it likes to warp a little more than simple steels.

Back