Acid Etching For a US Army Officers Sword

johnmccarthy

I am a 3rd generation infantryman, and I have my grandfather's officer's sword from around the 1920s-1930s time frame. I am looking to have my last name engraved on the blade, but cannot find any acid engravers around the Montgomery AL area. Can anyone give me some ideas as to where I can find someone who can do quality work?

Does it have to be Acid engraved?
If not, Contact a few local Jewelers or Gunsmiths and they may know someone that can Graver your name in and blacken or Gold fill.

Also thanks for your Family's tradition of Service

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

THe engraver I spoke with recommended that it be acid etched like the rest of the engraving on the blade. He said that because the blade was not flat that it would be difficult to engrave in the name. He said that if I could find someone who did "real" hand engraving that that might be an option. He cautioned me though that real hand engraving is becoming a lost art. I thought I would check on this chat site first to e=see if any good ideas come up before pursuing the hand engraving option.

Real Hand engraver was what I was referring to.

Talk to some local Gunsmiths and they may know about a Acid etcher as well to match the other names.

I think the Acid work is even more of a "Lost Art" these days.

Good Luck.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Could check out engravingforum.com and see if they know of anyone local to your area or somewhat close. Bunch of really good engravers over there.

Go to www.igraver.com Hand engraving is not a dying art, there are many great engravers out there and the art form is probably better today than the old masters. I am sure you could find someone to quote you a price on this site, besides learning and seeing a bunch of neat engraving.

Back