A Tool That's Just About Eliminated Hand Sanding...almost!

MTBob

I saw this conditioning flap wheel on Pop's some time ago and got a couple, thinking their hype was over exaggerated. Well, after testing for a couple months, I'm becoming a believer.
I've used these wheels on G10, Micarta, and natural wood to finish sanding after getting to about 120 with a scalloped belt or minimal hand sanding. The other day I tried the red wheel on a hardened blade and it did a pretty good job of taking out minor scratches. I think I'll get a coarse wheel and see how that works.
Adding the shaft extensions sure helps getting the blade positioned since the wheels are about 4" in diameter.
The red wheel laying on the bench is marked "3M" with Chinese printing, got it from Amazon I think. It's obviously a knock off that may not hold up well.
For now, this is my go-to finish sanding method.

1707767203459.png

1707767234443.png
1707767281333.png

I just got one myself but I haven’t tried it. I was thinking I might drill the hole to fit my buffing wheel. You guys see any problems I might encounter?

I just got one myself but I haven’t tried it. I was thinking I might drill the hole to fit my buffing wheel. You guys see any problems I might encounter?

I guess it would depend on where the "stuff" is bound together? Not sure if drilling it wider would make it fall apart.

Here's a couple close-ups of what these wheels look like.
The Red ChiCom wheel shows the cross section segments in the wheel. The material texture is much different than either a standard Scotch Bright pad, or a conditioning belt.
I'm curious to see how long these wheels will last. Though they are a bit expensive, their ability to flex into curves and produce a smooth finish may make them worthwhile.
My motor runs at 1750 RPM and seems about right for the application. A 3500 RPM motor may run too fast. I suspect the segments are simply glued onto a cardboard hub.
1707875444844.png
This shows the segmentation on a used wheel
1707875490515.png
1707875526097.png

Back